Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 brat mods

you can get the betterheads off a later model hatch, and use them on the ea71 in an older brat. that will give you ea81 valves. you can also swap an ea81 bellhousing for a 5spd if your existing motor has the starter dead on top.

if the starter is on the side then a 5spd will already fit

thats pretty cool! unless for 81 they had a different body stamp that made the tranny tunnel wider. this should be a pretty easy swap! get ready for the ultimate drag brat guys! one more question, what about suspension and brake upgrades? these are really important, because my buddy wants to maybe race this. Corky, Qman, anyone know about suspension and brakes?

Check to see if the top bolts for the struts are the same as generic EA81 Subaru's. Also check to see if the lower ball joint is the same as well. If so, you could most likely take the EA81 Suspension from any EA81 with the steering knuckle, brakes and all... and bolt them up. Not sure if its been done before, but let us know if your successful.

The EA81 will fit, 5spd, not too sure.

-Brian

Wont fit. The OHC makes the EA82 wider than the EA81. You'd have to modify the frame rails to get it to fit, and you would have to wire everything and run new fuel lines.

Stay simple. Lighten the car, put a EA81 in it with a weber and aftermarket cam. Get 130hp from that engine and your brat will FLLLLLY!!!

-Brian

Uhm... I was talking to a guy who fab's cams for aircraft use. He told me he can make a cam, and doubled with a weber and tuned right would make 130hp.

Im not sure if youve ever seen a gen1 brat. But they are tiny. And very light. if you tore everything out of it and lightened it even more, and stuck a 100hp EA81 in it, you would rip the doors off of everyone else. 130hp would be even more scary. Coupled with a Full Time 4WD 5spd, and you would be almost unstoppable.

-Brian

Never thought about swapping the whole front suspension uprights, but that sounds like it would work! Also im getting a RX tranny so ill see if they fit at all! Also I know that with some work (could someone repeate the steps) EA82 suspension can be put on the front of an EA81 car, so can I presume that if EA71 and EA81 chassis have similar front suspensions, i can get an RX suspension to fit?