Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 brat mods

Your real problem with the suspension is the width of the car - you will have to do a lot of work to get the front camber correct with any of the newer suspensions. The car is narrow, and the strut towers are too close together.

Yeah - with a LOT of work and a LOT of money, just about any engine can double it's rated HP output but even at 140, that's not really enough to race. You should think about putting a 2.2 legacy engine in there. They are narrower than an EA82 - not much bigger than an EA81 really. They make 140 HP, and there's lots more mods commonly availible for that engine. You could easily get 200 out of a 2.2 - with turbo's and some work - 300 HP is possible.

GD

True. Everyone would love to have a EJ22 in their brat. But reasonably thinking, its not as easy as bolting together a EA81 and slapping it in there. And I still think 140hp with a tiny Subaru brat would FLY! Expecially a N/A EA81 where all your power is right where you want it.

Drag racing=no

Dirt rally=yes

-Brian

Ok so I drove the BRAT today, and let me say WOW!!! The brakes are mushy and the shifter could be much tighter! NEEDS MORE POWER!!! Its so slow! I think an extra 60-70hp would do nicely! About the camber, as long as its not too bad in the negitive direction, then its ok with me!

So the concensus is that a 4spd DR will fit but a 5spd DR wont?