Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Ozmodiar-X

Fuel Pump noise?

well if you listen very carefully you can sometimes hear it in other cars. i guess it depends on the placement of the pump and how much sound insulation there is. im pretty sure when it comes on just before you crank the engine over, its just priming the system.

When my car is in the 'ON' postion, but not running, i can very clearly hear the fuel pump. Is this bad? it was like that when i bought the car.

I just got done working on the fuel pump system for my '92 Loyale. The pump should only run about 2 sec with the key "on" - just enough to prime the fuel system. The ECU then tells the pump to quit until the car is started. The reason that I mention this is that people have been known to jumper / bypass the fule pump relay, which causes the pump to stay on all of the time when in the "on" position. Most cars do this for safety - in case there is an accident, the fuel pump won't keep on... Otherwise, it will not hurt anything. BTW - yes, you should be able to hear it....

Normal. Mine's loud too, but there's no carpet in my rig, so I can hear it clear as day back there. As explained above, it's pressurizing the lines so the car will have fuel to start.