Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t brumby

bpm

hey fellas, newbie here with a couple of ?s. i have searched but havent found the info i need. doing an ea81 to ea82t converson in my 87 brumby (brat). wiring is not an issue (aftermarket ecu) and i know it should bolt up to my ea81 4 speed. i need to know can i use the ea81 flywheel and clutch and is there any crossmember modifications needed? also is there a straight fit distributor from any model with a magnetic type pickup?

cheers Ross. will get an early disy. just put new bearings through my box plus none of the importers have got a box to suit. its my daily driver also so i want do do the swap inside a day at work. have already wired the computer just needed to know about theflywheel etc so i dont get stuck

I think there may be an issue with the flywheel - i think the bolt holes are larger on the ea82 fllywheel, so the holes on the ea81 may be too small for the ea82 bolt size.

However, you could use the ea82 flywheel, with an ea81 clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing.

note: you have to keep the same pressure plate with the same flywheel.

you either have to use the ea82 flywheel, with ea82 pp, and ea81 friction disc.

or my favorite, drill out the ea81 flywheel bolt holes either 1 or 2 mms i forget. then you use all the ea81 clutch, flywheel and pressure plate. if you do this, transfer timing marks. i think the ea81 flywheel weighs less

now, this is all assuming your ea81 flywheel is an 8 7/8 inch. if its the small one, the ea81 flywheel wont work.

you can use any ea82 distributor off of a carb model as well as the early mpfi disty.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, its done, and goes quite well. had to cut a BIG chunk out of the standard crossmember and strengthen it because of the exhaust crossover. frame rails needed a slight massage with a big hammer and engine mount slots in the crossmember needed to be lengthened. drilled out the bolt holes on the standard flywheel and it all bolted together easily. took a total of 5 hrs from driving it into the shop to driving it out for some tuning. thanks all for your help.