Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick 4EAT trans question, AWD cars...

Alright, gotta leave in a minute to take my 3rd graders to recess.

I want to swap my old 4EAT/AWD tranny from my car for a 5spd eventually, but I have a good lead on an inexpensive JDM trans I could just r&r.

Anyone have any experience with these used take-out jap domestic model parts packs?

I've heard they are all low-mileage.

Would the internal diffs be a completely different ratio than my USA 4EAT?

thanks!

Adam

it could be a nightmare. You need so many small parts it could make you crazy.

Check out Josh's website, he did the job himself and has a lot of good pointers.

I have driven a number of JDM cars in New Zealand after retirement from the domestic market. The mechanicals are usually in pretty good shape.

That last post I wrote was in terms of just popping in a good used JDM 4x4 low-mile tranny until I find a donor 5spd 4x4 body for my ultimate project.

Price is right, and at least I can roll the dice and take advantage of the (brief) warranty period.

I'll be interested in seeing what the innards of the extension housing look like compared to my well-worn unit.

Anyway, the next adventure will be a pretty straightforward plug-n-play, maybe if I'm having a cognizant day I'll take some documentary footage. Could be fun...

Adam