Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof rack weight capacity - pushing the limits?

How much is too much for an Outback roof rack with Yakima cross bars?

In the local classifieds there's an ad for a 4"x8" 24' wood beam that I might have a use for, I'm always looking for good deals on building materials and I thought hmmmm... that may be going too far. Based on some material density numbers I found online and some wild guesses, this sucker would weigh around 150 to 175 pounds.

Before you tell me I'm an idiot for even considering this: 1) It would only be transported a few miles at low speeds, and 2) The load would be very well secured with nylon webbing ratcheting and/or cammed cargo straps, not just tied up there with a piece of twine. The front and back would be connected to the tow hooks of the car.

All of this reminds me of one of my favorites from http://www.snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/lumber.asp

What's the heaviest or biggest thing you've carried on your Yakima rack on a Subaru? Am I crazy for considering this?

Steve

I wouldnt go past 100 lbs, thats what it says in my 97 and 98 owners manual. The weight my not be an issue, as it is having all that weight in a base of 8".

I am 90% sure the roof will survive, but i dont think the trim and the rest of the roor rack will survive it.

nipper

Just checked my owenrs manual (its a little nippy outside for sept), it says "the roof cross bar kit is desighned to carry loads (luggage and roof rack) of not more then 100 lbs"

Says that in two places actually.

Why not just have it stick out the back of the car ?

Thanks for the interesting opinions, I know weight wise it's definitely pushing it, maybe a bit far. I don't know how likely it is that I'd even get the beam, as I don't have a specific project in mind at the moment, but we do want to build a deck and something like this might be necessary.

We have access to a pickup, but it doesn't have a ladder rack... not sure how else a pickup with an eight foot bed would haul a 24 foot piece of lumber... we also have a big cargo van at work I've used for 14 foot lumber.

Thanks for the feedback, probably I'll pass on doing this, but if I do I'll be sure to take pictures!

Steve

do you have the yakama bars on your factory rails? if so then i'd be a little sketched out about it, on the other hand, if you have gutter mounts, with a foot on the roof, load that sucker up!

Thule spec is 165lbs, which is BS.... i've had well over 300lbs on my racks before and they held fine (loaded up box, 2 touring kayaks & 2 bikes)... there may be some marks where the feet used to be.. but it held. Although i am having issues with the racks now.. ie: having to hold the feet on the car by rachet strapping them together across the car :rolleyes:

Factory racks always scare me...

Handtool:

:lol: at the firewood car, that's great. Looks really safe ;)

Andyjo:

Good point, it's Yakima cross bars on the factory rack. The Yakima rack itself should handle the weight IMO, but the Subaru's rack itelf, I dunno. I was also a bit worried about the leverage exerted by that much weight hanging fore and aft of the rack if I go through any dips in the road. Sort of a see-saw effect.

Steve

Have the Yakima rail riders setup on my 96 outback wagon; Yakima states that this configuration is only designed to carry 75 lbs. I've put a ~50 lb canoe and a couple of bikes on the rack before with no problems all while driving like Bo Duke.

PS: the 58 inch load bars have been great for extra-wide loads; never realized how useful they'd be. I have caught my head on them a few times (ouch).

Cardy 1/2 MD

(done with Pediatrics and Psychiatry- have noticed a lot of docs own SUBS!)