Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who has a lifted Legacy/OBW?

UniqueTII

I'm thinking about a driveway buddy for my WRX (someone left me a nice red scratch on the door so I'm sick of driving it to school) and I've been considering a Legacy Outback wagon, so who here has experience with modifying one for offroading? I've taken my WRX off the beaten path a couple times but I sure could use some extra ground clearance.

I'm still open to a good DL/GL/Loyale if I can find one but that's getting pretty tough.

well, things are looking better for the newer gen stuff. people are making lifts now, and we're figuring things out little by little. if you get a regular legacy, use outback struts and springs to get about 3-4 inches of lift, then you can run at least 27's without problems. i believe that allied armament makes a body lift for the legacy, and mudrat is dong the d/r tranny into an ej car. so it kinda all depends on what you really want to do......but the possibilities are out there.. not to mention the motor upgrades are easier to find for the ej than the ea..

yes, aa makes lifts for older legacy's, they look awsum! You should keep trying to find a ea 81 or ea82 because of the dual range, and because there not worth as much so...You dont have to worry about getting dents and such. The lifts for them are cheaper also. but, good luck with your project you want to have, keep us posted with pics

also, i didnt notice where you are from, but i see ea 82's for sale all the time, just pick up a auto trader or somtin.

Try the pacific northwest, or colorado. They seem to be the subaru capitals of the US. I typically see 2 or 3 EA82 wagons a week for sale around here, for between $300 and $2,500 depending on miles and how well they've been taken care of.... Not as many of the D/R ones as there used to be unfortuneately.

My particular recommendation for a good everyday driver is a '88 through '89 GL -- they still had dual range then, but also had the fuel injected engine (my experience with the '85-'86 carbs is that they are insanely complicated, and by the time they've got 200k miles on them, they need rebuilding). '87 came in both carbed and SPFI versions.

Thanks for the replies! I have seen a couple DL/GL wagons in CO that I'd consider, but I really don't want to go much further than that to get one because I'd like to test drive it first. I was thinking about an Outback since I'd like to have a bigger car around as well, but that's not too much of a necessity. I would, like soobmater said, be worried about body damage more on something newer, so that's always a problem.

I guess I'll just have to keep all of my options open.

I have seen a couple DL/GL wagons in CO that I'd consider, but I really don't want to go much further than that to get one because I'd like to test drive it first.
There's no need to test drive a old gen Subaru. They all have the same things wrong wrong with them. Just get the one with the least rust.