Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 sway bar installed!!

jmr052

Man what an upgrade! The difference in handling is great! It was more work taking the bar off of the donor than it was intalling it. Although I did have to adjust the top and bottoms of each bracket. I also used the old bars wrap around bushings, the ones that connect to the middle. Made the install a little tougher but now I have very tight bushings. If anyone is looking for a cheap $10 handling upgrade, this is it.

Tonight, 5-lugs.

Jay

I put it on an 89 wagon. If I recall correctly the difference is 2mm, 18 to 20.

What kind of difference? Well, it is much, much flatter in the corners and if you you try an avoidance maneuver, it actually responds to the steering inputs!

Jay

You have a few options .

You can use the sway bar and fittings off a loyale

the bar is wider so you need the vertical fittings for the lower arms.You can get them welded back on . this will give you two sway bars on the front You keep the old one as well.

You can take a 80 /84 sway bar cut the ends off about 3" in. Remove the fittings off the cut ends. have them rewelded on to now shorter sway bar.

Now fit the sway bar under the old one .You have to find the right place to fit the gap between the old sway bar and the exhaust.