Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear seat belts

A 3 year old should be riding in a car/booster seat for maximum safety(and in compliance with the law in most states). the safest place for said seat is the middle-rear seat, where there is a lap belt only. if the seat is used on either side, there is a locking clip that will make it more useful with car/booster seats..

If such a seat is not used, then those seatbelts(and all seatbelts) are not merely annoying, but fatally dangerous.

Most places that I have been, the local state partrol will help show you the best(and safest) way to install a car/booster seat.

i have seen various rear seat belt set up from various years of cars. my 87 gl had 3 lap belts for the rear. the 90 loyale has a lap in the middle and 2 shoulder belts on the side, but the are mounted in a very low positions, are not comfortable and i bet peoples shoulder would be injured because they are so low. then i have seen 92-94 loyales that finally have shoulder belts for that mount about half way back above the back side windows and are actually solid. as far as i can remember for baby seat, i think it might have been good to use the tie down hooks on the tops of the back seats, or even run something to the spare tire hold down in the cargo area.

90 and later actually has a spot for a child seat tether anchor.. I have a factory anchor for a 90 loyale.. thought to use it in my 88, or my 87.. but they didn't have the spot to mount it.. remember that whatever a tether anchor is mounted to must be structurally sound.

i think it might have been good to use the tie down hooks on the tops of the back seats.

Those things on top of the seats arent tie downs, they are catches for when you fold the seat down.. not good for tethers..

, or even run something to the spare tire hold down in the cargo area

?.... my spare tire mounts under the hood.. and there isn't enough room under there.. even for a kid as small as mine:D

i'm pretty sure there is a really small slit, of about an inch or so in length in the cargo area carpet. i'm pretty sure it's a bit more on the driver's side of centre. i believe it was used to wagons that had the old wagon wheel style wheels that could not be as easily stored under the hood, or for larger tires. but there should be a place there with some threads that you should be able to bolt down to.