Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I get rear disc rotors off? *frustrating*

Harvester

Ok well today I found an XT Turbo at the junkyard and decided to take the rear discs off to put on my Brat. I got the caliper off, and the 36mm nut, and the lugnuts, but I cannot pull the hub/rotor off. Now that I notice it the guide says "Sometimes the cone washer wont want to come loose, use your hammer and gently tap the spindle and the sides of the rotor until the cone-washer pops out of place." that was definitaly my problem. I can't get that cone-washer off so I can pull the hub/rotor off. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

I will go back next week with a mallet and try loosining that cone-washer so I can get disc brakes for my brat!

P.S. Check out my thread on an old 1975 Subaru 1400 that was at the junkyard http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43979

Flat screwdriver into the slot of the cone washer, whack once then pull screwdriver. Sometimes comes off with screwdriver, othertimes when it doesnt whack the axle with rubber deadblow hammer once and see if it jiggles free.

Using a penetrant oil here is wise as well. RUST here frequently.

A good crack with a lead hammer does the trick for me. Don't hit the spindle with a steel hammer or else the threads and your day will really get ruined.

Ok well today I found an XT Turbo at the junkyard and decided to take the rear discs off to put on my Brat. I got the caliper off, and the 36mm nut, and the lugnuts, but I cannot pull the hub/rotor off. Now that I notice it the guide says "Sometimes the cone washer wont want to come loose, use your hammer and gently tap the spindle and the sides of the rotor until the cone-washer pops out of place." that was definitaly my problem. I can't get that cone-washer off so I can pull the hub/rotor off. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

I will go back next week with a mallet and try loosining that cone-washer so I can get disc brakes for my brat!

P.S. Check out my thread on an old 1975 Subaru 1400 that was at the junkyard http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43979

being in the J/Y, I say just whack the axle as hard as you like (don't mushroom it too bad), then when you get the cone washer and the rotor off, clean the crap off outside edge of the spindle to make the backing plate removal easier, they can be frustrating to walk off the spindle, again penetrating oil helps, and a crowbar in the foreward (motor) side prying, while hammering with a bfh on the rear (trunk) side is my favorite.

Also check to be sure the bleeder valves are still functional, 10mm on backside of caliper, they like to rust into a solid piece and ruin the caliper.

i would always use a flat head screw driver, but craftsman became rather interested in my rather large amounts of warranty returns, yesterday i pulled an axle and used the scratch awl, hit it with a hammer and it popped right out. and i didn't break any tools.