Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wounded Loyale... HELP!

Hi All,

I am new to this group, so a bit of background first... I am recently divorced (and won) so the ex-wife had to give back my car. Unfortunately, she had an "accident" that was never repaired and the car is now un-drivable.

I have a 1992 Subaru Loyale, wagon, on-demand 4WD, auto

...that got hit in a parking lot. The rear passengers wheel and rim look as if they got hit by baseball, which bent the rim. I’m guessing it was a trailer hitch.

Because the "ex" continued to drive it after the accident…

the bearing is worn out, axel shaft spline teeth are ground off, brake drum is cracked, and all seals are destroyed.

Aside from replacing the obvious,

are there any other areas to check for damage?

Any advice on how to change the axel shaft spline?

Also, since the car is on 4 jack stands, I wanted to check the 4WD.

When I started it and put it in gear, only the front wheels turn.

Is this normal when the car’s wheels are off the ground?

Thanks in advance.

TJ

if ya need a 5-speed I know Hondasucks just pulled one out of his turbowagon (87) and its a 5-speed pushbutton 4wd. I think he might be lookin to sell it. I know it works. The reason for pulling it; we got an RX tranny (part time 4wd) and so we put it in. The 5-speed is clean and is in great shape, you'd just need a pickle fork cause the old one broke in half:banghead:

Sounds like you have quite a bit of work on your hands before any 5speed swap takes place. From what I gather above you will have to replace the tire, rim, hub, bearings, and axle. I would check to see if inner or outer control arms are bent or if the strut is bent. Also as suggested above check inside the rear differentcial. If it smashed the outer stub axle enough to screw the splines it might have shoved the axle pretty hard into the inner DOJ.

UPDATE...

Searched everywhere and finally found a junk yard with a wrecked 93 Loyale. I got an entire rear assembly that included, shock, arm, axel, brake drum, etc. for $100.

With the help of my brother (a great mechanic) we removed the damaged rear assembly and replaced it with the newer one.

Removal was difficult because NYS winters with all the salt had most of the bolts rusted in very tight.

Now the rear is back together. I just need to turn the drums and replace the pads and it'll be good as new.

As for the 4WD system... I checked all the mechanical parts and they are undamaged. Everything moves freely. I also check all electrical components. The sylonoid works correctly and you can hear it engage. Perhaps the 4WD system only works when the car is moving down the road??? Any ideas?

T.J.

You could disconnect the linkage from the vacuum solenoid on the tranny and manually engage the shifter linkage on the tranny(right side). Perhaps the linkage isn't travelling far enough to engage the transfer case(last section of the tranny). The dash light is a poor indicator of engagement. My lifted 92 wagon has the 4wd light pop on during sudden acceleration(ie side stepping clutch)

Originally posted by trooperjeep Perhaps the 4WD system only works when the car is moving down the road?
I have a '93 Loyale 4WD, and the pushbutton 4WD will engage fine when I've got it on a lift (all four wheels off the ground. I have no idea how the system works, though, never needed to figure it out. I push the red button, the dash ideogram lights, and the rear wheels begin to spin with the fronts. Never hear a thing, unless I've got the fronts spinning when I push the button (when up on the rack!).

• 2 weeks later...