Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did you stud your Hakka 2's?

Yes, they were ECO-studded for two years, but we were taking a very late ski trip to Canada, and WA state had already passed the time for removing studs, so I yanked them all out. Pull the wheel off the car, yank the studs rotate tire to other end of car. It took about a hour for all four, but I am still finding studs at various places around the garage.

Comming from the east coast, I always had studded tires. I really don't need the studs here in Seattle. Is it worth the money to stud??? . . . if you are going to see a lot of hardpacked roads and ice, probably; if not, no.

Jack

We put Nokian RSi's on a Honda Accord V6 last winter.

I have a 97 OBW and have been extremely happy with the HydroEdge and found them to be a terrific all around tire. They still have 9/32nds tread after 41,000 miles. And I take note that most of the Subarus I see in VT do not have dedicated snows. My sister-in-law lives 3/4 mile up a dirt road and uses AS tires on hers. That why you are carting the AWD gear around all year.

During a snowstorm three of us drove the Honda, another Accord with AS tires, and my OBW with Michelin Hydrodge. With AWD I could start much better on hills with the Subaru. But when it came to braking or turning, the Nokian equipped Honda was best. The AS-equipped Honda was, ah, exciting.

The Blizzak WS50 is a popular tire and can be ordered via mail. But I learned that the special hydrophilic tread is only the outer 50%. This made the Nokians more attractive. I bought them from Johns & Sons Tires in Manchester, NH.

The RSI's have a tread depth indicator molded into the tire. They are much "squirmier" in the dry than non M&S tires and a bit noisier, which is probably true of all. They wore about 1/32nd in 6,000 miles.

They wear faster than conventional tires, no way around it. Put them on as late as you can and take them off as early as you can. You should get at least 20,000 miles out of them that way.

Otherwise, the HydroEdge and Goodyear TripleTread seem to be the best M&S rated all season tires. But neither has the severe weather "Snowflake." I'm putting the HydroEdge on a Quest van as well.

The Green Diamonds are retreads aren't they? I suppose they remark the sidewalls so the tires all look the same.

Anyway, that wasn't the point. Has anyone ever used these tires, or seen a comparison between these tires and studded snow tires like the Hakka 2's?

Yes, they are retreads. They cost about the same as blizzaks. I don't care if they all look the same, but I do care that the circumference is the same. I have read nothing but rave reviews about them on other boards, so I figure I'll give them a try. The pilot plant in the USA for green diamonds is not far from our new home in central NY.

We have worn out two sets of blizzaks now, and after all of those miles I have concluded that a blizzak is a jack of all trades, master of none. Snow traction is so-so, ice traction the same. Even a cheap set of studded snows will run circles around them, and cost less. I'm hoping the green diamonds are as good as studded snows without the noise. I won't be buying any more blizzaks, if the green diamonds don't work out we will use studded snows exclusively.

Otherwise, the HydroEdge and Goodyear TripleTread seem to be the best M&S rated all season tires.
Today I saw both these tires at Sam's Club. The TripleTred looks much more sophisticated, with more edges and ramped grooves that look like they'd expel slush better. The HydroEdge looks very 2D, simpler, more rubber and less groove, less variation in groove width or depth. Just from looking at them, I'd expect the HydroEdge to have the advantage in dry handling, the TripleTred in wet and snow. The TripleTred does get much higher marks in snow on Tire Rack's site, and slightly higher marks in nearly every other catagory, including noise and dry handling (what do I know?). And it's $12 cheaper. I'm getting info on Nokian WR and NRW, and if for some reason I don't go with Nokians I'll get the TripleTred. Tire Rack's price is about the same as Sam's, but I'll probably pay a little more to go to my usual dealer.

I was thinking of getting Hakkas or RSI's this year. Anyone have a ballpark figure of what 4 cost? I was thinking of around the $300 range is what it probably is.

Now to rehash an old topic, I have 4 15' steelies from my 95 Impreza. I should be able to use these on my 2001 Legacy L wagon, right? I'm almost 100% sure I can, but I want someone else to say so!

Kevin

I was thinking of getting Hakkas or RSI's this year. Anyone have a ballpark figure of what 4 cost? I was thinking of around the $300 range is what it probably is.

Now to rehash an old topic, I have 4 15' steelies from my 95 Impreza. I should be able to use these on my 2001 Legacy L wagon, right? I'm almost 100% sure I can, but I want someone else to say so!

Kevin

Don't know about the wheels, but mark@waukegantire.com quoted me 480 shipped for Hak 2's while my local Tire Factory wanted 700! The RSIs I don't know about.

Kakka RSI's were quoted to me in NH at $120 each, mounted and balanced.

Just found a mom and pop shop in my area that carries Nokians :grin:

$550 Canadian for four, mounted and balanced, taxes in.

Just curious, how many seasons/km have people gotten out of their Hakka 2's, without studs?

Urban Coyote

2 years ago, I bought snow tires for my car and my wife's. I got her the fancy, name-brand Blizzaks, and I got Kumho I'zen Studs.

The Izen Studs are studdable winter tires, they were about 1/2 the price of the Blizzaks, and I have no complaints with their handling or performance. I have been able to accelerate and brake efficiently in the snow, when most other cars barely move. I did not put studs in mine, there is really no reason to unless you live on an iceberg.

I got mine at Tire rack.com, but I don't know if they still carry them.

Matt