Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

First post, I am brand new to the list - please be easy on me! :-)

Short story: how do I get the airbag codes in a '92 Legacy?

Long story: I am trying to fix up to sell a '92 Legacy wagon that rear-ended another vehicle. The damage was not too bad, but the airbag deployed. I got an airbag from another '92, but the airbag light is still lit. Since then I found out that the early and late '92 airbags have different part numbers. There is a late '92 Legacy in the junkyard with the right date of manufacture and right color airbag. However, before spending another $60-70 on another airbag, I really would like to see that the error code is in fact for the bag, and it's not that something has to be reset after a deployment, or maybe the sensor needs to be changed as well.

Thanks,

Balu

There is a diagnostic connector under the dash. It is a six pin connector that is flat on the bottom. The bottom has 4 pins, and the top has two on either side. it looks like:

1  23456

Pin 1: Airbag diagnosis

Pin 2: Airbag clear memory

Pin 3: Air suspension

Pin 4: Automatic shoulder belt

Pin 5: Cruise control

This connector is only for airbag equipped cars. Non airbag equipped cars only have a 4-pin connector.

What you need to do is connect a diagnostic terminal to pin 1 to read the airbag codes. The diagnostic terminal is wrapped up in the wiring that the connector is on. I'm pretty sure the terminal just ground the circuit. So if you can't find the terminal, you could just try running a wiring from pin 1 to ground.

• 7 months later...
This may not help but I changed my heater core last weeken and when I put it back together my airbag light was also on. My light was on because I had not pushed the little lock lever forward after connecting the yellow plug.

Tcspeer,

Are you talking about the connector lock on the Air Bag Control unit ?

I have a newly acquired 95 Impreza with the air bag light on. The Air Bag control unit is under the ashtray and the connector lock is broken off. I was just wondering if that could be the problem ?

I sure would like to get the air bags working properly. The car is being driven primarily by my teenage son. He loves the car, but I'm worried about the air bags not working if needed. Hate to get rid of car, but

not worth the risk.

Thanks,

Fred

• 7 months later...
Nipper

Would the impact sensor need replacing if the air bags were not deployed ?

I want to say no, since they get damaged in order to set the sir bag off.

If you have everything fixed, i would take the car to subaru and let them read the codes ands see what the issue is.

nipper

on my visor says i should get airbag checked every 10 years i beleive, but its been over 10 years, and they airbag light tuns on for a few seconds then turns of, think its fine?

Yes, and most the dealers dont even know what to check.

nipper

From what I've read the dealer check is simply a visual inspection of the airbag covers and to make sure the light isn't on. When my 95 OBW passed 10 years I did a search and this is one like I came up with, it pertains to Volvos but the gist is the same. Basically they said 10 years at the time because airbags were new and they didn't know how long they'd last, they've since revised that number up to 15.

cheers,

matt

I want to say no, since they get damaged in order to set the sir bag off.

If you have everything fixed, i would take the car to subaru and let them read the codes ands see what the issue is.

nipper

The code reads Airbag Control Unit. Subaru says $700 for control unit but they are not sure even that will fix problem. Plus no refund if it don't. Subaru won't even talk about installing a used control unit.

I thought about installing a used one but concerned that used unit might deploy airbags ?

The code reads Airbag Control Unit. Subaru says $700 for control unit but they are not sure even that will fix problem. Plus no refund if it don't. Subaru won't even talk about installing a used control unit.

I thought about installing a used one but concerned that used unit might deploy airbags ?

I dont know what to tell you. Part of me wants to say a unit out of a subaru in a yard that has power, but another part sees your point. And the fact that subaru says that stimies me. Call subaru of america.

nipper