Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off road bumper mounting?

Rebello240zx

Ok I have to ask this because it worried me a little.

I built a bumper for the front of my wagon using 5 inch C channel. and for the brackets, 3/8 flat bar. I then bolted it using grade 8 bolts to the stock bumber holes. My question is will the stock bumber holes take the abuse from a wench and pulling other out? or do i need to connect to diffrent areas? like the lower frame or something.

I dont need my front end being ripped off, if you know what I mean.

It will hold up fine. Be sure you don't let some moron pull you out though. Some people like to latch on and yank you out at wide open throttle with out taking up the slack. Even then I doubt it would rip off but it would certainly tweak and twist the unibody and/or bumper.

It will hold up fine. Be sure you don't let some moron pull you out though. Some people like to latch on and yank you out at wide open throttle with out taking up the slack. Even then I doubt it would rip off but it would certainly tweak and twist the unibody and/or bumper.

Ok good just checking, I don't have alot of subie experience, so I don't know what these cars can take. yet... :)

haha little 5inch

what year wagon?

the ea81s have some pretty puny bolts up front holding them in. mine is only mounted in the stock areas, and i have jacked the car up on it, have been towed around, but have never winched with it.

i have seen bumpers like mcbrats, and the stock subaru a bar that mount to the tie down loops in the front. you could also put some extra mounting points there.

if its an ea82, i think its fine, cuz those bolts are bigger.