Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mice!

Not sure how to prevent them from getting in... but...

When you let the car sit for a while, even if it sits for just a couple weeks: Mouse traps under the seats and in the trunk. Rat poison in specific locations.

I recently picked up a car that had been parked for 6 years. It was armed like that. No mouse poo smell, and no mouse nests anywhere. I'd suggest trying it.

Though, do check the mouse traps periodically... a decaying carcass in the car won't smell good.

I just recently left my '85 GL wagon in sea tac for three months this summer, drove the car back down to arizona and when i went to get it washed i opened my passenger door and a wet little squeeker came sliding out looking particularly pissed. It had built up a nest just behind the passenger side headlamp and i guess just toughed out the ride home across the mojave and sonoran deserts.

I just recently left my '85 GL wagon in sea tac for three months this summer, drove the car back down to arizona and when i went to get it washed i opened my passenger door and a wet little squeeker came sliding out looking particularly pissed. It had built up a nest just behind the passenger side headlamp and i guess just toughed out the ride home across the mojave and sonoran deserts.

Thats good.

I've massacred the bastards with extension cords (particularly good luck and aim that day), screwdrivers, knives, stomping and traps and they still come back. Yes, they're cute and fuzzy but they cause insane amounts of destruction. The worst is when they chew wires...AARGH! The way they get into the vent system is through a hole in the unibody under the quarter panels. It has mesh tack welded over it, but not enough and there are other holes in the same body tube. the solution is to take the plastic covers around the wipers off and put 1/4" mesh over the two main air inlets. the air inlets are convieniently raised, so you can wrap the mesh over and JB weld it down.

Oh, and if you have a car with auto seatbelts, under the relays by the passenger seat is a favorite nesting ground which will make the car stink without you being able to figure out where it's coming from. Pull the seat, take the trim off that side, and pull the carpet up. Took forever to find that one.

Yeah, you've got to cover every possible opening with wire mesh. I've never actually had the problem with mice, but living up in the mountains we tend to get pack rats in engines. Completely disabled my truck one summer (ate through the ignition coil wire, two spark plug wires, fuel pump relay wires, tach wire, halfway through the fan belt, and one radiator hose). And filled the whole engine compartment with grass and bark. )((**&&^$^%. The latest thing is that a few people have discovered they like the taste of biodiesel, and will chew through the fuel lines for that. Disadvantage of using non-toxic fuel I guess...

The only solution to keep them out that I've found (since it's hard to surround the whole engine in mesh) is to keep a couple tins of poison in there, and check regularly. Also keeping a couple rat traps set in there. Basically, make it an unhospitable place to set up housekeeping, especially in the autumn when they go looking for a winter home. It's a constant battle for any vehical not used every regularly.....