Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Turbo Off-Road???

carljwnc

Get an RX to run on the road/dirt roads etc...you'll love it (most of us RX owners do).

Get something else that's a standard D/R tranny to off-road.

At least that's what I'm doing...

RX=Fast, Handles amazing & Fun with mods

Lifted Roo= Slow and doesn't handle nearly as good, but fun for off-road

Just remember you can never have too many Roo's around... :headbang:

I would have to argue that one. The right set up and a competent driver will produce a competitive car. I know because a few years ago, when I was introduced to rallyX we were allowed to drive our lifted rigs(Zaps Brat and my old Hatch) in an event. Not only did we surprise most of the field we finished in the upper half of the competition. Zap finished in the top 1/4 of the field in "BOB". The only reason we were allowed to run in the first place was because we both had roll bars. After that event they pretty much allowed us to drive whatever we wanted.

Dang folks.......Didn't mean to start a war here.:eek: I was just curious if an RX would be a logical choice for an off-roader. Personally, with the helpful information provided, if I found an RX for the right price (free to incredibly cheap) I might consider it. More likely I will just find myself an old school GL with minimal rust and a dual-range tranny to serve my purposes.

P.S. I do see the very occasional (once a year or so) RX here in the great state of Western North Carolina.;)

Dang folks.......Didn't mean to start a war here.:eek: I was just curious if an RX would be a logical choice for an off-roader. Personally, with the helpful information provided, if I found an RX for the right price (free to incredibly cheap) I might consider it. More likely I will just find myself an old school GL with minimal rust and a dual-range tranny to serve my purposes.

P.S. I do see the very occasional (once a year or so) RX here in the great state of Western North Carolina.;)

This argument is always there...Old School vs New school...and thats what it is...my RX vs everything else EJ.

besides that....

GL wagon D/R would be the logical choice for offroader. RX would be good too, but the low range is not as low as the GL's...1.196 for RX and 1.592 for GL. That and you can haul more in the wagon and I would think the wagon would make a much better offroad rig.

Honestly, I would save the RX for rally-autox-fun fast car-road race type stuff.....Wagons and sedans and non RX coupes for off road and other stuff.

on the rare subject:

I haven't seen a RX in person, I haven't seen a turbo brat in person, what I have seen is two XT's, one 70's Brat and loads of loyals and leones. Althought I do live in the country, and I do live in Australia! So that might explain it. I'd have to say from being on the forum turbo Brats are the rarest subie except for some pre 80s subies.