Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Turbo Off-Road???

carljwnc

I've been thinking about aquiring an off-road project Scooby (not that I can afford it :rolleyes: ), and I came across these at the Subaru Challenge in Maggie Valley NC.

08sm.jpg

What caught my eye was the; full time AWD, dual range 5sp. and the diff. lock switch.

Has anyone built one up for off-road use??? Does the center diff. lock make it worth it for such a project??? Are the suspension mounts applicable to available lift kits???

Help me in my quest for the perfect, old school, off-road Subaru.:cool:

got any more pix of those cars? They look great.

RX's arent the best to lift and take offroad. They are too rare and more of a rally car or a street car. The subframe is all the same as any other EA82 wagon or sedan... so lifting one 3" or 4" would be no problem.

The center diff lock only locks 50/50 front and rear. Any standard 4WD gearbox will do the same, except you will not have Full Time 4WD. You will have FWD and 4WD, but the center diff will always be locked (well, there is no center diff... but its 50/50 all the time in 4WD).

The Dual Range on the RX is actually worse than a standard Dual Range gearbox. The low range isnt as low as a standard 5spd. Then there's the turbo. Turbocharged engines arent that good off-road. They lack the low end torque required to help you get over those obsticals slowly. The one thing the RX does have going for it, is its rear LSD. The locked rear end comes standard on RX's and no other EA82's were offered with one.

Ive taken my RX off-road once. It was great fun!! But since then, i have lowered it instead of lifting it. And making it faster instead of getting it dirtier....

PICT0330.jpg

-Brian

This is the only other pic I took(of the RX's)...

09.jpg

I had my two kids with me, daughter riding around in a 'Jeep' stroller. rebadged with 'Subaru' badges from an '83 GL, and my 5 year old boy, I kept looking out for y'all to ask about the diff. switch. I was in my crystal grey Forester XT parked a short ways away.

Of all the super-sweet cars there, your (and WJM's) RX's held the most of my attention. Wish I'd gotten there sooner to see you run, but kids ya know...

but back on topic an ea81 hatch makes a better offroader.

Yeah, probably right. I just got all excited when I saw the diff lock. I've been off roading the Forester, but I really want something with a dual-range that I can build into an off-road specific car that I don't have to rely on as a daily driver.

Now at least I don't feel the need to hunt down an RX.:)

Thanks for the input.

P.S. The RX's were my favorite cars out there, hope y'all did alright and more importantly, Had Fun.:burnout:

I kill you, I kill you dead :grin:

Check the prescription man!

1984 GL hatchback 4WD D/R, my first love

1986 RX will be new daily driver

1988 RX, race kaa

1989 Rotary powered RX, race kaa

1989 RX shell, one day will be a race kaa

gee, how did a 19 year old end up with three race cars? :)

They are so rare that you have 4 of them. They are not that rare and not that impressive.

Check the prescription man!

1984 GL hatchback 4WD D/R, my first love

1986 RX will be new daily driver

1988 RX, race kaa

1989 Rotary powered RX, race kaa

1989 RX shell, one day will be a race kaa

gee, how did a 19 year old end up with three race cars? :)

They are so rare that you have 4 of them. They are not that rare and not that impressive.

I was joking man.

i have four cause I keep buying them. if RX'es aren't rare then what do you consider rare in teh suby world?

I was joking man.

i have four cause I keep buying them. if RX'es aren't rare then what do you consider rare in teh suby world?

I know you were, just as I was.

However, I stand by my opinion. If they were that rare I would not be able to drive 30 minutes in any direction and find 5 of them. I know of 3 within 5 minutes of me.

I guess the rare Subaru to me is the Turbo Brat. I haven't seen one in person. I know that there are 3 rally prepped RX's in the states. These were factory prepped cars that came here for the last US rally. I know a couple mechanics that worked/volunteered for the crew. So those would be even more rare. The rumored existance of the imported GSR. The JDM RX1, I do not know of one in the states.

To put things in perspective, in stock form, how many factory hotrods could the RX beat from the same era? The motor wasn't special, it came in alll turbo models. Suspension, maybe a slight bit better. The fulltime 4WD was a slight advantage but also a disadvantage. It combined for more weight and only was a slight advantage in wet or loose conditions. The LSD could be ordered in any vehicle with 4WD/AWD. What were the 1/4 mile times? Slow to say the least. Time it with a stop watch or a sundial?

I will say there are not as many as there once was. But that doesn't make it rare. Show me some production numbers to the contrary and I may buy into it. Besides, there really isn't a niche market for a true stock mint one or the last couple to surface would have sold for the inflated prices their owners were asking.

So as said earlier, mod it, offroad it, rally it whatever you chose to do with it as long as you are enjoying your it!

In all of my traveling ever since I knew what an RX was (5 years now)...outside of the 3 board members on here who I have met personally that own one or more.....I have only seen two.

They may be more common in other areas of the country, but in the SE Region...they are very uncommon.

In all of my traveling ever since I knew what an RX was (5 years now)...outside of the 3 board members on here who I have met personally that own one or more.....I have only seen two.

They may be more common in other areas of the country, but in the SE Region...they are very uncommon.

I can buy into the regional thing.

Can no one offer a rebuttal to my other points though?

I can buy into the regional thing.

Can no one offer a rebuttal to my other points though?

Its certinly a regional thing...I'm sure outside of the SE in a more Subaru populated area I could find some....

as for the other points....i dont have any real hardcore factorial data to back anything up that I might say, so I didnt say it.

However, I realize that stock, they are slow. Stock they handle like anyother 80's subie. Stock...you might as well not even try keeping up with a base Impreza or Legacy.

My RX on the otherhand...back when I had the other engine in, and ran ~14 PSI...wave bye-bye to the STi in your mirror...I'll see it on the otherside of the Dragon when the roads get straight again. Granted if you add in the nice springs, whiteline swaybars, and a TBE on said STi...it'll keep up....then pass you on the short strights....and slowy creep away.

I realize that you own an STi and I am sure you are well aware of how fast they are in stock form. Yes, my RX *WAS* as fast as that. Now, it is not nearly as fast in a stright line, as FSP-Solo2 rules keep me from boosting/larger turbo at this point, but the handling is more than there.

I think I live in one of the most subie-less areas of the country. I've only seen a couple EA81's of any kind that weren't board members. or any turbo's, or...

Anyway, yes, there are more rare subarus, yes, there are much faster subarus, no, they're not really anything that impressive.

BUT, they're special, they've got all the luxury options, I don't need to list them. and for one, the D/R FT4WD tranny.

I'm not going to say what you can and cannot wheel. but I just think these are too beautiful to beat up that much.

not to mention the stock turbo motor, coupled with the not-so-lo lo range, would make crawling virtually impossible.

Get an RX to run on the road/dirt roads etc...you'll love it (most of us RX owners do).

Get something else that's a standard D/R tranny to off-road.

At least that's what I'm doing...

RX=Fast, Handles amazing & Fun with mods

Lifted Roo= Slow and doesn't handle nearly as good, but fun for off-road

Just remember you can never have too many Roo's around... :headbang: