Ultimate Subaru Message Board

big problems with 2.5l '97 **need help please**

I need to change the head gaskets (overheating-exhaust in cooling system) AND the lifters (they dont keep the oil pressure) AND the connecting rod bearings (big knocking noise). What could be the biggest problems and mistakes? Do you have any advise ? thanks

I need to change the head gaskets (overheating-exhaust in cooling system) AND the lifters (they dont keep the oil pressure) AND the connecting rod bearings (big knocking noise). What could be the biggest problems and mistakes? Do you have any advise ? thanks

Have you considered a rebuilt engine from CCR?

http://www.ccrengines.com/

If it's a bad knock, the crank may be damaged and in need of machine work, which would run big bucks. I've done a couple of rebuilds on older soob engines, and it's cheaper than buying an engine ONLY if you don't have to do any machine work or replace parts like pistons, crank, etc.

I also find myself in the CCR camp. there are too many problems with this engine, all stacked on top of each other. The other option is to get an engine from a junk yard, but the CCR engine would have a warranty that the JY engine would not. This makes CCR a much safer bet. . .

With the lifters not holding pressure, and the rod knock I'm betting you are not getting oil pressure, which means that you will likely find that other parts have been eaten as well.

The biggest mistake you can make here is opting to rebuild this engine instead of getting a rebuilt one from CCR or someplace similar.