Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AA lift install finished minus steering adapter

Well we started today at 2:30 pm and its now 8:30 pm. Everything went good till we got the tranny spacer brackets. The holes in the AA spacer dont line up with the factory holes in the bracket or the bottom of the car. So my car sits for the night.

you sure they don't fit? I did have to file down a couple things when I did mine, but not much. Try EVERY other combination you can think of before you modify it. the tranny blocks where VERY hard when they were 3 individual pieces on each side. I'm not really looking forward to replacing them with the updated one piece.

Odly enough,, with all the other issues:rolleyes:,,,I had no problems lining up the "tranny" brackets.:)

Although, I made sure original bolts were completly out befor i lifted the front.

Did you try, after attaching the strut block and engine cradle block, putting the wheel back on and lowering the car back down to the ground.

Then ease one new bolt in just a little , then play with the pitch of the connecting rod using a pipewrench or a prybar

well thats exactly my point. because of the updated part, I think it makes it more of a PITA because if the holes arent drilled EXACTLY centered, you cant get the bolts all the way through the bracket and the spacer.

One thing I did do that made it go easier was put the engine x-member spacers in last night in the dark. Made the tranny x-member slide forward about 2 inches making it a lot eaiser to line everything up. Soon as the sun comes up I'm gonna go battle with it again.

yeah we used one.

Heres some suggestions to the makers of AA lift parts is make sure all your parts fit before shipping them out. They dont have to be installed on a car, just the holes need to line up

You'll need the strut caps, and the tranny x-member bracket, so you can see if the stuff thats welded is centered up where its supposed to be, or if it slid or moved while it was being burned.

And dont use a cutting torch to burn holes. Use a drill press. All the stuff looks good until you look at the jagged holes that were made on the front strut extentions. AND get the holes centered so they line up with the factory holes. I had to do some major prying to get the top of the strut spacer bolted up.

Alright well with a little changing to the instructions, I got the tranny spacers in. Put the engine x-member spacers in first, to pull everything forward. Now the tranny spacers lined up enough that I could get all the bolts in. The drivers side spacer is off by a 1/4" its on the tranny crossmember bolt so I dont think it will be a problem. Man the threads into the body of the car sure are crappy.. rusty had to use a 2 foot breaker bar to get em up the last 1/2"

Ya rustiness comes with living in the AK lots of mag chloride and saltwater to make your car get rusty quick.Once broke a socket wrench trying to get the bolts off of a rollbar on a truck I used to have.Just lots of corrosion to seize everything together.Use pb penetrating oil,seemed to help.

steering shaft is getting us now. it seems like the extention I got might be too long? or does the whole ujoint assembly go from the firewall to the stubshaft on the rack? but then it is too short. The only thing I'm guessing is that I have a part missing or I'm an idiot... Probably the second one

:banghead:

Soon as I find the cable for the computer I will send a few.

Its done now. The replacement struts for the back that I found were an inch longer than the ones that were on the car, so it sits a little higher than I though it would.

I still need to figure out something with the steering shaft adapter. From looking at a power steering rack vs the manual rack that I have, I think they sent me the wrong adapter.

I have a two piece steering shaft from the firewall to the rack. A power steering has one piece.

Glad its done. So are my hands which are cut and bruised to hell.

Glad its done. So are my hands which are cut and bruised to hell.

Haha yep been a week since I got mine done, still wearing several band-aids and still have a huge black & blue lump/bruise on my forearm from where I bashed it against the tranny mount trying to get the bolts broken loose. Well worth all the pain though...looks good Torxxx!

thanks guys

I think I'm gonna get 195/80/13's for the winter just because I am broke right now and dont know if I'm gonna be able to find some bigger 4 lug rims.

ideally, 29 tall skinnys are gonna go on it.

Kinda weird. The tranny bolts came out easy. It was the radius rod bolts to the control arm that was a PITA alogn with the engine xmember

steering shaft is getting us now. it seems like the extention I got might be too long? or does the whole ujoint assembly go from the firewall to the stubshaft on the rack? but then it is too short. The only thing I'm guessing is that I have a part missing or I'm an idiot... Probably the second one

:banghead:

I ran into this same problem,, Do you have manual rack&pinon or power steering? They sent me one that was 9" long,,, (power steering) what I needed was one 14.5 inches long (manual steering).

I ended up taking my original to a welding shop to be lingthened.

There should only be 2 U joints in the whole linkage, 3 is a NO NO;)

Buy the way how did it go with the lower radiator hose???? and electric cooling fan .thats where i tore my arms up at.

Oh and if you need to lingthen your pitch stoper, here's what I did.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44324&highlight=pitch+stopper

12279kicker_stop_mod.jpg