Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Up here in metricanada, we refer to mileage as MPG "miles per gallon" although our gallons are imperial so they are somewhat larger than US gallons (US gallons X 0.83 = Imp. gallons). The govt. has tried its best to make us use a metric equivilent but for a lot of us it just doesn't make sense. The official term for mileage would be litres per hundred kilometers. My 91 Legacy usually gets somwhere around 8 l/100k (which translates to 35.3 miles per Imperial gallon or 29.4 miles per US gallon.) I still end up converting to mpg to compare with other cars. (But I'm getting better!)

The odometers are of course in kilometers and I have heard people use the term "klicks" but I generally just shorten kilometers to "K". As in my 91 Legacy as two hundred and eighty thousand K on it. A lot of people won't even mention the units. If you ask what the "mileage" is they will tell you 160 thousand or some such with no mention of units. Funny thing though, nobody ever asks what the "kilometerage" is on your car.

280.000 Km and still only 8l/100 km ???

You are lucky! And 280.000 km are not to bad at all.

My 2.5 GX '98 needs at least 9,5 l/100 km and about 10.5 - 11.5 l/100 km on the highway (autobahn). Ok, I have to admit that the average speed on the autobahn seldom falls under 150 km/h - more in the near of 200 km/h :brow: