Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Super Swamper Question

subestyle18

Im looking to get a set of swampers for the wagon. Its my second car so its not driven on the street that much. Im wondering if some one can tell me the difference between the ssr 27x9.5r15's and the TSL radials 215X85r15's. Also 9.5 is pretty wide i run 215 75 15's and rub a little at full lock, I just got finished watching Zap's soobaru fun video and they are all running a swamper that looks pretty narrow what tire is this. Thanks,

also is their a good place in the seattle area to get them or is it best to order them online and have them monted by any tire store.

David

also is their a good place in the seattle area to get them or is it best to order them online and have them monted by any tire store.

David

Being from Woodinville, having to travel to Tacoma wouldn't be worth the couple bucks saved. Sorry Ken.

Get a price quote from Tirerack.com and any other on line tire store. Print it out, bring it to Discount Tires at Northgate. Ask for Eric or Sean. Tell them Eric with the Subarus told you. They will hook you up and work with you on the price. You'll have to be firm, they price match, but they also factor in the cost of mount/balance into the tire price. For example. I brought a quote of 73 bucks per Kumho. We sttled at about 90 bucks including shipping. Wound up being 400.38 for 4 mounted and balanced and tax.

I'll let you borrow my receipt if ya like.

Don't show them the quotes until you ask them if they price match.

Kumho Ventures (27/8.50/14) are a pretty baddass tire too, for about 30 bucks less a tire. You can afford to buy 5 for the price of 4 swampers.

The SSR 27x9.5r 15's are the ones I just ordered, I looked on line and they want a bunch for shipping, so I called around and ended up ordering them from the local Les Shwab, will be $115 each plus shipping, would of been $550 for a set from 4 Wheel Parts if ordered on line, I have no experince with the tire , wanted the radial as its my daily driver, I like the sidewall pattern on the SSR s , did have a question on rim width , I see they recomend 6.5 - 8.5 " wide rim what would be better a narrow or wide rim? , I have a set of 8" wide rims I was going to use just because I have them , any advice on rim with would be nice SJR

Good point about travel Eric.

Scott, the wider the rim the more abuse it will take. If you lean to the narrow side the tire will take the abuse. We used everything from a 5" Pug to a stock 'yota wheel and everything in between.

One more question about the ssr's how do they do in the snow. I'll be working at the steves pass this winter so i'll be drving in the snow a lot and my subaru is my snow car. Would i be better off getting some snow tires for the winter and getting the swampers in the spring.

Eric how do the kohmos compare to the swamper in the snow

Thanks

Well since money is no object to me (thats why i drive an $600 car right) i think im going to go with swampers. The kuhmos look like they have the same tread pattern as the wildcat rvt's which ive had before they are deffently a soild tire, but i like mud and so do swampers.

Thanks for the adivise, i get paided later this week so its off to the tire store after that. Has anyone had the swampers siped for better snow traction?

David