Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do YOU keep from smashing tail lights?

Ryanb

Siil Q, but how do other people keep from smashing rear tail lights on the trail? I'm destined to screw one up almost every time, then spend $10-$15 a pop just to do it all over again.

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a cover or gaurd or bumper add on. Right now I'm rocking Mud Ratt bumpers, so I could weld or drill whatever onto the bymper. It's also a daily driver so nothing to crazy?

Little help...

um... turn your head...

seriously, i have never broken a tail light while offroading. smashed doors in a bit, yes, folded mirror back, yes, but never lights! just be more carefull, i live in the land of offroading in close proximity to trees, so i feel your pain.

I put an 80-mil (a little over 1/16") self-adhesive clear vinyl on mine. It's tough stuff, but the company that makes it is no longer in business, sadly. I know where you can get 40-mil (a little over 1/32"), but it's not as tough.

Haha. I'm not a terrible driver. I was slightly exagerating out of frustration. 3 times though for sure. It's usually while pulling the car out . The last time it was from the direction of the pivit point on the come along. It was unaviodable.

What I was looking for here was ideas for toughing up this area, not critisim on driving.

Thanks.

EDIT. I also JUST got my swampers. They are sitting in my living room waiting to be mounted. As of now I'm rollin' Schwabby Wildcat all terains that blow a**. Welded diff going in next mounth.

So that has some effect.

Take one of those little metal grill light protectors they make for Chevy or Ford trucks or mitsobusis or Jeep cherokees or forester and mod it to fit on your wagon

M26903359.jpgTaillight_Black.jpgTubes_TLG_blk.jpg

16789-cherokee.jpg

I wish i was set up to weld ,, I could make all sorts of stuff!

Those things are a false sense of security. If you hit something, you'll smash it into your tail light, and it will only be harder to change the tal light. And, notice how they always stick out on the the side, They'll just snag stuff as you go forward.

yea I say look behind you. Subaru bumpers stick out 4 inches past the tail lights. you shouldnt have any problems. When you feel the bumper hit something, STOP.

The one time I've broken out a tail light was when I was moving dead cars around the shop. Car didnt have an engine or tranny in it, so the front bumper was higher then my rear. My spotter wasnt paying attention and SMACK busted taillight. Thats the only one I've ever broke.

Those things are a false sense of security. If you hit something, you'll smash it into your tail light, and it will only be harder to change the tal light. And, notice how they always stick out on the the side, They'll just snag stuff as you go forward.

But all the cool mall crawlers have them! :lol:

Thats Great , I love that statement, I can amagine then sitting there in the middle of the room, maybe using one as a chair, which model did you get and why? SJR

yeah, i got a kick out of that statement too.

i though it was funny what i had a glasspack sitting in my living room. the wife wouldn't loved swampers.

A couple of places i used to go had deep, off camber ruts that used to put he side of the car into the bank often - sometimes it would damage the lights, so i just took them out while i was there.

Siil Q, but how do other people keep from smashing rear tail lights on the trail?

Silly answer, look where you're going!

But seriously, the guards only make it more difficult to change the broken lense. Bumper mounted guards are the way to go but then so is exo-skeleton.

Trippy, you're one of the mellowest guys I've ever known. :confused::lol:

I just keep all my anger and aggression bottled up inside,

That happened back when my parents were going through a pretty rough time. It was early in Monica and I's relationship and she was coming over for the weekend from Pullman. I got home friday after work, to find the power off and thought "what a way to impress a girl, invite her over for the weekend to a house with no power." Parents hadn't been able to pay the bill in time, and it got switched off. I then really came to grips with the whole situation my parents were dealing with, and had been for quite sometime, and it really made me angry and depressed. First thing I saw was that brake light, and i just kicked it. I then promptly realized how stupid that was, and went into the garage and got the spare that was hanging on the wall. I was just finishing replacing it when the power lady came by and turned the power back on. Luckily Dad had driven to the power company and paid it, then ***************ed and moaned to have it turned on immediately. A couple hours later Monica showed up, and all was good.

Don't have to be going backwards to bust a 85- 87 subee wagon tail-light.

I've seen people rub a tree on the rear quarter panel and crack the lens.

Of course WHERE you 4wheel is a big factor, like down south here there always tight bush and tree areas that take a tol on your paint not to mention the soggy ground causes trees to slant often. its possible to even bust a tail-light without the tree ever hitting the bumper.:)

And ofcourse if you're 4 wheeling with a bunch of drunk red-necks ,,,even the unemaginable becomes possible:drunk:

And of course ,, theres the , ocasional reason to kick it out ;)

THANK YOU! For actually posting something helpfull.

Take one of those little metal grill light protectors they make for Chevy or Ford trucks or mitsobusis or Jeep cherokees or forester and mod it to fit on your wagon

M26903359.jpgTaillight_Black.jpgTubes_TLG_blk.jpg

16789-cherokee.jpg

I wish i was set up to weld ,, I could make all sorts of stuff!

THANK YOU! For actually posting something helpfull.

Plenty of us posted useful stuff, like trying to tell you how dumb those little protector things are and why. Do you really think that one would do squat if you backed into something?

You asked how WE keep from smashing our tail lights. WE collectively told you.