Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ER27TT Engine Color Scheme HELP!

Whats up fellow Subaru freaks!

I am working on putting my ER27 back together and I trying to come up with a really cool color scheme to use under the hood. Both of the turbos will be visible unlike normal stock turbo placement. I want to cover every thing that may discolor or become corroded from the nuts and bolts to the throttle body weather it be even polished aluminum block and then clear coated I dont care.

I have access to just about any method of coloring every part under the hood; paint high/low temp, Powdercoating high and low temp also super high gloss and mirror effect. Some of my powdercoats also have very similar looks of chrome. I will be using CARBONFIBER as well but how I will use it I cannot disclose right now sorry:brow:

I would appricate it if I could get :banana:A LOT :banana: of good help here. I have my own ideas but I always love the ideas put forth by my subaru family.

Go ahead and post some pictures of; colors, finished engines, anything you like I dont care. The more the marrier!

Thanks Everyone!

i would keep it simple nothing looks better then a very classy engine bay. not a ricer engine bay.. here is what i would do..

engine bay one collor(blue, white, black

motor. blue whit or black..

then i would do the turbos in pollished aluminum and the intake (maf side) in the same or carbin fiber....

dont use to many collors or it will look realy buiss and will suck.

on mine im doing mine (engine compartment in dark grey,, motor will be white...

i would keep it simple nothing looks better then a very classy engine bay. not a ricer engine bay..

agreed

keep it simple, and clean, I'd say clean up the whole bay body color. Then paint the block another color, and then just clean up everything else with either flat black (makes for a really clean look, IMHO) or silver/metallic/chrome...

I did have in mind keeping with the REAL carbonfiber colors with at least one other color to give it pop. (non of that fake carbon fiber crap, that junk drives me nuts!) I was thinking about the blue and yellow but I think it has been done too much. What ever I come up with on the engine bay will most likely be the basis of the rest of the cars interior and exterior.

Keep them coming!

You know, it probably doesn't make a significant difference, but painting or coating the engine in any way will reduce heat dissipation. In light of that, I would advise against doing anything with at least the block and the heads. The cam towers, rocker covers, and any accessories should be okay to paint though.

You know, it probably doesn't make a significant difference, but painting or coating the engine in any way will reduce heat dissipation. In light of that, I would advise against doing anything with at least the block and the heads. The cam towers, rocker covers, and any accessories should be okay to paint though.

good point, and on a TT ER27, this might be crucial!

Here's what I did. Didn't last very long :( The only paint that stayed on longer than a year was the silver block paint; that's becuase it was high quality engine paint and not cheap rattle can 'engine paint'.

Looking back I wish the whole thing was just done with the quality silver engine paint. Really don't matter much to me now; its all coverd in dirt and oil.

engine%20suspend%20right%20side.gif

engine%20suspend%20front%202.gif

intake%20manifold.gif

misc%20parts%203.gif

It's actually "Cast Iron" High Temp paint, my camera doesn't quite get the color right. Figured if I painted it cast iron it would be a solid engine right? ;)

I painted everything before putting it together, masking off anything I didn't want painted..hose connections, electrical connections, gasket surfaces etc. It also matches good with my aluminum ceramic painted turbo and down-pipe. But yea some people like it, some people don't, just depends on what your going for. I went for kinda dark and simple, will show less oil leak messes once it starts leaking oil..and we all know it has to eventually.

Yea it was painted black stock with paint that was flaking off everywhere, so I cleaned it up and then repainted it, only very lightly over the cooling fins though. Was slightly worried about it affecting the cooling properities of the IC, but I figured it was painted before..and every single radiator I have ever bought was painted too.

Edit: here is a fairly new picture I found on my computer, only a few things have been modified since then (intake shielded off and a few other things like being in the car).

nengine.jpg

I'm partly done painting parts on my RX. Car is white with red and accents. Engine paint scheme includes red and gloss black, mostly clear coated too. Duplicor Engine Enamel hi-temp (500*).

Valve covers (two color), top intake, pulleys (no-timing-cover conversion), intake manifold, fuel filter holder, waterpump pipe, maybe fuel rail and dog bone. And depending on how the machine shop cleaned them: oil pan, front corner splash/skid guard things, and cam towers. I have teaser pics, but nothing is assembled and not all colored. VERY VERY VERY time-consuming...

I would powdercoat if I could.

--Ed

Powdercoating is not much worse then painting as long as you have all the right tools to do it. Once you aquire the tools you will never paint again... as long as you can heat up the parts above 400 deg without melting them.

Powdercoating tools... that's why I can't do it. My painting tools are a set of rattle cans!