Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Intake manifolds

actually, I was more interested in any length differences. I got a spare manifold from Syrinx today, and was comparing it to the length of an ea81 manifold, which was considerably longer, so I was wondering how people had modified a ea71 dually to fit onto an ea81. (thus also determining, that my dually is in fact from the ea81)

I'm gonna be putting a weber on the ski wagon, so I wanted a spare intake to use for the weber.

• 5 months later...
so: what are the results ??

I have ideas clouding my mind :brow:

the manifold I got from Syrinx was for an early ea71, and had enough of a difference I didn't want to mess with it. the fat case intake manifold really is closer to the ea81 manifold.

I just left the original intake manifold on, and used it with the weber and adapter.

I no longer have the Ea81 Dual carb set-up....

That surprises me a little.

I'm using a later EA71 in my '79 Brat that orignally came with the early style EA71. I'm using the earlier bellhousing, intake, oilpan, and modified alternator bracket on the later engine without any problems. I also have an EFI manifold of unknown origin that is the same length. I don't know what it came on (I'm guessing an EA81) but I know it wasn't original to the EA71, yet it would work. I also have an extra EA71 intake that would be suitable for a stock carb or a Webber. It is subtly different than the one I'm using but again, fits either style EA71 casting.

My guess would be that the longer intake comes from the overhead cam, EA82 engine. I'd also go out on a limb and say that the EA71 and EA81 intakes are interchangeable. ...That's just an educated guess though!

My guess would be that the longer intake comes from the overhead cam, EA82 engine. I'd also go out on a limb and say that the EA71 and EA81 intakes are interchangeable. ...That's just an educated guess though!

Not totally true about the interchangability of the ea71 to the ea81.The ea81 has the longer stroke than the ea71 so they wouldn't be a direct fit.

The early EA71 manifolds will fit the fat case, (later) EA71s without issue. You have different hookups on the manifolds themselves, but they work. 3 of my gen1's have fat case engines, with early manifolds and early flywheel covers. All bolted directly on.

Todd

Not totally true about the interchangability of the ea71 to the ea81.The ea81 has the longer stroke than the ea71 so they wouldn't be a direct fit.

I'm now curious as to the origin of the EFI intake I've got that fits up to the EA71. Any ideas? I had always assumed it came off an EA81. The longer stroke of the EA81 may be a function of a different crank vs. a wider crank case casting.

There were some oddities in engines made for other markets - there very well could have been an SPFI EA71 somewhere in the world. They made EJ series engines with distributors in some places, and they did make EA82 body cars with EA71 engines in some parts of the world, although I thought they were carbed - I think there was a guy from Barbados with a loyale such as this on the board for a while.

Hard to say, but If you have it then you have it - no way around the fact that it was made, and fits. Only possible conclusion is there existed at some time, in some place, a fuel injected EA71..... it also may have been some sort of special raceing peice from japan.

EA82 SPFI fits on the EA81 and it's hard to believe that it was never used on it.... I would venture to guess that Subaru created the SPFI before the EA82 came to the US. It's like the rear disc brakes - they came on EA82T's here in the states but will bolt to the EA81 because it's a design that was not changed, and DID exist on JDM EA81 RX's, and JDM race spec vehicles. It's clearly listed on the literature here on the board as factory equipment on the EA81 RX models.

GD

• 8 years later...

I know, old thread resurection, but about this:

I'm now curious as to the origin of the EFI intake I've got that fits up to the EA71. Any ideas?

I've seen EA71 EFi models on the Subaru Leone  "Maia"  Version, (For JDM)

which has the body of the Loyale Sedan, look at the "Maia" Decal on the Rear:

578985_573244899388209_1432753348_n.jpg

The "Maia II" was a cheaper version, with EA71 Carb, see:

1005475_573244896054876_924657610_n.jpg

Do you still have Photos of your EA71 EFi intake to share here?

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

2ut6b7q.jpg

I just googled EA71 with EA82 SPFI...dang. I was able to drag home another subie that was basically given to me. It's an 88' GL Wagon, 5 speed D/R (originally why i wanted the car) but i look under the hood and realize it is fuel injected and i know guys put FI on their EA81's but didn't know if it was possible to put this setup onto an EA71...but here is my answer i suppose haha.