Ultimate Subaru Message Board

passing emissions with a weber?

Will my car pass emissions if i put a weber on it and get rid of all the stupid mess under the hood? Im kinda getting sick of this one barrel carter carb but not of its milage (27 to the gallon). Any ideas? I just want to keep this car legal. Its an 83 EA-81 just for clarification.

Your in Ct ? Do you have ther state doing your emission testing, or do private garages do it ?

Also if the car your talking about has less then 100K on it, they may not pass you.

All that crap is also helping you get good gas milage. Why do you want to change it?

nipper

Your in Ct ? Do you have ther state doing your emission testing, or do private garages do it ?

Also if the car your talking about has less then 100K on it, they may not pass you.

All that crap is also helping you get good gas milage. Why do you want to change it?

nipper

CT had the emissions banned in the state for over a year because there was no state regulation done to ensure that the third party testers (private garages) wern't letting people pass when they shouldn't. as far as i know the emissions have been re-instated in the state and are far more rigorous. Im pretty positive that if you have a single barel weber on your ea81 you wont pass.

Once i installed my double barrel weber on my ea82 my mileage went up to over 30 mpg highway....but i recently backed into a huge stump in my driveway and now my pipes are basically f'd=crappy around town mileage....but tomorrow the car is getting new ones from the headers all the way back minus any cat(s).:brow:

nipper

I replaced the single barrel carter-weber on my son's '82 brat recently with a 32/36 weber. Highway gas mileage went from 20-21 to 27-28 with that change. I'd think the emissions went down from previous since more gas was going into making the car move more efficiently; I did pass WA state emissions after making the switch also; I don't know how you would fare in CT.

"Once i installed my double barrel weber on my ea82 my mileage went up to over 30 mpg highway....but i recently backed into a huge stump in my driveway and now my pipes are basically f'd=crappy around town mileage....but tomorrow the car is getting new ones from the headers all the way back minus any cat(s).:brow:

The emissions test have started up again. My subaru has already passed..on its second try. It needed a new O2 sensor. The reason i want to change the carb is to get a bit more pep out of it and get rid of the hessitation. Ive been told by a fellow that has worked on these since they were new that the carter weber carb was the worst they put on these cars and that mine is running as good as any he has seen but it still hessitates when it is cold.

I left the O2 sensor hanging; there's nothing on the weber that will respond to it, but I didn't want to plug the hole by removing it. I just tied up the wire from it so it didn't get ripped up in something.

Will the O2 sensor still function with the weber or will i be getting rid of that too?

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post of mine but i have a few more questions about the weber. Will it set off any trouble codes in the computer because im not running the O2 sensor? What did all of you people do with all the vacuum line mess when hooking it up? I mean the EGR valve and the reed valves on either side that are hooked to the header with a steel pipe? Thanks again!

The 32/36 doesn't need an O2 sensor, but you can use it to set up the jets in the Weber. If it's set up right, it will pass emissions easily, and you'll get more power and economy, too.

Most of the vac lines can be blocked. The EGR isn't doing you any favors, so you can block that, too. The AIR lines that go to the exhaust port can be blocked off, too. I just sawed mine off flush and put a nickel under each one to block it off.

The main thing to watch for is anything that's required for a visual emissions inspection. For example, in Utah, the car has to have all the original emissions equipment to pass the visual inspection before it even goes on the dyno. So the EGR is still there, it's just blocked off. The vac lines are still there, but the ones that aren't needed are blocked internally.