Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS Offroad... yay or ney..

Andyjo

I ran across something the other that was talking about bypassing the ABS solenoid when offroading. I've been in a few situations (super steap & gravelly hills) where i think it might of helped not to have the abs kick in... although that's what the e-brake is for right?

Discuss!

We talked about this in the brake systems class I took two years ago, and the professor as well as the manufacturers admit that there are situations in which ABS can be detrimental. This is primarily in deep gravel, sand, or snow. If you drive on those sorts of terrain, it might help to be able to bypass the ABS system.

I personally do not like ABS on ice. There have been several times that I know I could have stopped faster without it.

I dislike the jerky braking that ABS renders and feel a loss of overall control of a vehicle when it is actively engaging ABS.

I have no idea what it's like for offroading, but since it's mostly at low-speeds anyhow, I suppose that most of the time it's pretty legit and non-intrusive. On second thought . . . . who uses brakes offroading anyways? :drunk:

I ran across something the other that was talking about bypassing the ABS solenoid when offroading. I've been in a few situations (super steap & gravelly hills) where i think it might of helped not to have the abs kick in... although that's what the e-brake is for right?

Discuss!

Bypass? Just pull the fuse. A buddy broke down in terms of: "ABS is Braking in the rain for dummies."

I pulled mine day one. Much better.

I don't think ABS is supposed make your car stop faster. It is there so you can turn while braking hard. If your front wheels are locked, and you turn the wheel nothing will happen, with ABS the car should respond. So on gravel/muddy/snowy roads if you aren't going to try and slam on the brakes in a turn, it probobly would help to take the fuse out.

ABS helps you stop faster on slippery surfaces while maintaining a straight (or controlled) line in rain or ice. And it does help here, due ABS's ability to control each wheel separately instead of all at once like pumping the brakes. For highway driving in the winter, the ABS on my dad's OBW is nice.

Snow, gravel, mud, grass, etc, isn't really a surface so much as a 3 dimensional interface between the earth and the tire, and here, locking up the wheels is often better because you can dig into the matrix, and plow piles of gravel with the wheels instead of just floating over the surface like ABS tries to make you do. I like my old GL wagon better in these situations.

Most the time I am accerating around corners on dirt roads anyway -- brake on the straightaway, then gun it (okay, its a NA EA82 so "gun it" is relative) into the corner, but not quite to the point of breaking the rear wheels loose....

Bypass? Just pull the fuse. A buddy broke down in terms of: "ABS is Braking in the rain for dummies."

I pulled mine day one. Much better.

won't that turn on the light on,on the dash?

i guess i'd either have to deal with the pulsing or the light Hmmm

You guys think thats annoying, try driveing with intermittent ABS. every time tou hit the brakes its like "is it gonna kick in this time?" ABS dose help in many on road situations ,and lets face it, even the OB models are designed for moastly on road conditions. even off road on a muddy hill for instance it can help by keeping your wheels from locking. one of the reasons our Subarus have it is it is easier on AWD systems to prevent one or two wheels from locking thus putting stress on driveline (think front tires on snow grass rear on pavement lie you're leaveing the road).

You guys think thats annoying, try driveing with intermittent ABS. every time tou hit the brakes its like "is it gonna kick in this time?" ABS dose help in many on road situations ,and lets face it, even the OB models are designed for moastly on road conditions. even off road on a muddy hill for instance it can help by keeping your wheels from locking. one of the reasons our Subarus have it is it is easier on AWD systems to prevent one or two wheels from locking thus putting stress on driveline (think front tires on snow grass rear on pavement lie you're leaveing the road).

My non-ABS equiped Impreza likes to lock up alot :( Its not very predictable either, at least I havent gotten used to it... With my last Impreza, that had ABS, I could easily keep it from not activating, but during dirt driving or when it hit bumps with the brakes engaged, it was very unpredictable in those few situations...

Im not really sure which one I like better.