Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an opportunity to purchase a 01 Outback Sport for 9800.00 72000 miles, manual trans. I think it is a good price. I have been a Subaru owner for 27 years and plan to continue to be one. I have been driving an '86 XT6 for the last 9 years and still love it(see my post on older) but it is time to upgrade. My mechanic says to get manual trans. That I would not like auto (mountain driving). Any feedback on that and the car in general.

Thanks Dana

• 6 months later...
I have an opportunity to purchase a 01 Outback Sport for 9800.00 72000 miles, manual trans. I think it is a good price. I have been a Subaru owner for 27 years and plan to continue to be one. I have been driving an '86 XT6 for the last 9 years and still love it(see my post on older) but it is time to upgrade. My mechanic says to get manual trans. That I would not like auto (mountain driving). Any feedback on that and the car in general.

Thanks Dana

They are wonderful cars. Get the 5 speed for sure if you are planning some mountian trips. The automatic is good but that will give you more control and you won't have to use the breaks so much coming down steep slopes. And these cars are great for that.

If by chance you are in the Boise area mine is still for sale.

Tessa

My fiance and I have matching 2000 OBSs. Mine is manual, her is auto. There is a strong difference between the two in how it feels when driving. Manual is feels noticably quicker and offers much better control of engine power. The auto is definitely capable though and shouldn't be a problem for mountain roads. Both are good. It really just comes down to a matter of prefference.