Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant temp sensor?? HELP ME

I posted earlier about my car not starting in the morning could it be a coolant temp sensor. it seem to not start when it is chilly out around 50 degrees but it will start when the temp is above 70 deg. it cranks fine but will not start and when I get it to start when it is above 70 I smell gas initially like it was flooded.

I located a sensor at Autozone and am wondering if it is worth a try.

I have a 1997 outback sport 2.2L. Before this cropped up it had a high idle, but clearing the computer seemed to solve that problem could they be related.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY appreciated…

Since your problem is temperature related and since your car is almost 9 years old, I think it would be a good idea to replace the coolant temp sensor. I would use OEM since it can be had for around 30$. Make a search on this board for «temp sensor» and you will access all sorts of info on how to locate it and replace it.

Good luck!

Since your problem is temperature related and since your car is almost 9 years old, I think it would be a good idea to replace the coolant temp sensor. I would use OEM since it can be had for around 30$. Make a search on this board for «temp sensor» and you will access all sorts of info on how to locate it and replace it.

Good luck!

Thanks when I replace it will it imediatialy make a diffrence or will the computer have to learn the new sensor.

Have you done a search here for your problem? I have not seen to many post for the problem you are having. I know the newer Subaru do not have a choke but I would think your problem is related to what ever is used instead of the choke. And maybe that is the temp. coolant sensor, but I would not have total faith that it would fix it.

Thanks when I replace it will it imediatialy make a diffrence or will the computer have to learn the new sensor.

I replaced two : on in my Loyale and one in my Legacy and the effect was immediate. Like TCpeer wrote, not absolutely sure it's the culprit. But in my opinion there is a good chance it is. Both my sensors failed after about 8 years. So it's still a good thing to replace it on your car even if it turns out to be only preventive maintenance.

I replaced two : on in my Loyale and one in my Legacy and the effect was immediate. Like TCpeer wrote, not absolutely sure it's the culprit. But in my opinion there is a good chance it is. Both my sensors failed after about 8 years. So it's still a good thing to replace it on your car even if it turns out to be only preventive maintenance.
I replaces the coolant temp sensor but it still does not start, I got some ether and sprayed it in the air chamber it started right up but then would stumble and run really rough. if held the petal all the way down it would run but very rough. could it be the fuel pump?? I also replace the fuel filter and spark plugs.

I replaces the coolant temp sensor but it still does not start, I got some ether and sprayed it in the air chamber it started right up but then would stumble and run really rough. if held the petal all the way down it would run but very rough. could it be the fuel pump?? I also replace the fuel filter and spark plugs.

Did you get all of the air hoses hooked back up to your air filter housing? Sounds like you may have left the big hose unconnected. It hooks to the bottom of the thing that connects the air filter to the big black thing at back and on top of motor.

it could be alot of things. bad timing belt or tensioner, throttle plate sticking, intake leak, fuel issues, spark plug wires swapped, timing off.....more info would help alot. any previous work done? any recent tune up?
I started to think it was a fuel delivery problem, and though better of dropping doing anything involving lots of fuel on a asphalt driveway.So I finally had to give in and take it to the dealer, turns out it is the fuel pump. they ordered one and will instal it soon. let you know how it all works out when I get it back. thank for all the help.