Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone. I dont own a Subaru but I'm going to start my quest for a 96 legacy outback wagon. I guess that would be a obw. I just started my research today on subarus, so I dont have all the lingo down. I have decent knowledge in cars though. I want an awd wagon. I was think about an a4 wagon, but they are junk. Through my research I found that a 96 obw has higher ground clearance over a 95, and with a 2.2 its very reliable (which I need since I am going back to school, and once again I will be a poor college student). So I am really looking forward to getting one. I am hopefully going to school in Boulder within the next 2 years, so it will be great to have when I move. The winter can get pretty bad here in central new york also, so I will definately have use for it here. I started mountain biking so (+1 obw), and will hopefully get back into skiing this winter (+1 obw). Where can I find accessories for a 96 obw ie, skid plate, diff cover, suspension, bumper guard - I saw a pic of a obw with a bumper guard, not sure who had it though. Cheers

Thanks, I read somewhere (which i cant find right now) that in 97+ the engines are interference. Is this true? Why are 96- non interference. I'd rather stick with the non interferance incase a timing belt decides he doesn't like me.

96 5 spd legacy obw 2.2

96 auto legacy obw 2.5

96 was the last year of the non-interrference 2.2, great car, took me a while to find mine, I wanted 2.2 with cold weather package and factory upgraded stereo.

Thanks, but i am going to hold out for a 96 5spd 2.2....Thanks again but I am going back to school, which means I'll will be broke. I gotta wait it out for the most reliable IMO. From what I have read, a 96 5spd 2.2 is what I want. 96 over 95 because of the 1.5" lift ; 96 over a 97 because of the non interferance engine. and of course a 2.2 for minimal upkeep. cheers

Hey, if you come out to Boulder next year, you'll see plenty of Subaru's. Sometimes it seems like every other car is a Subaru here. Some good independent shops, as well as lots of individual mechanics who are good at subaru's, if you do need work done. My dad has a '96 OBW with the 2.2 and 5 speed, and he's got 160k miles on it now. Definitely would be my almsot first choice in a subaru (after an '89 GL, because '89 was the last year with dual range 4wd)

Subaru's are cheaper to maintain than the Audi's from what I hear, too.

Hey, if you come out to Boulder next year, you'll see plenty of Subaru's. Sometimes it seems like every other car is a Subaru here. Some good independent shops, as well as lots of individual mechanics who are good at subaru's, if you do need work done. My dad has a '96 OBW with the 2.2 and 5 speed, and he's got 160k miles on it now. Definitely would be my almsot first choice in a subaru (after an '89 GL, because '89 was the last year with dual range 4wd)

Subaru's are cheaper to maintain than the Audi's from what I hear, too.

Definately heaper than an Audi....Thanks for the info, can't wait to move !!!!!!!!