Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok to have a new tire that is 2500 miles off?

My wife put a nice gash in our side wall (dont ask). I really need to get a new tire, its probably not safe to drive on it.

Is it ok to get one new tire? Its a new '05 Outback with around 2300 miles on it.

Also, I was quoted $130 OTD, is that about right for the OEM tires?

Its from Discount tire, thats the installed price and same model and size (Poneza E92 225/60/R16), but now that I look again, there is a E92A that is an OEM. Might call back.

As for Sams, I guess its worth a trip to the store...the website didnt have the tire.

OEM tires usually are a lot more expensive then they need to be because some people just want the OEM tires and don't realise they can get tires that are better, and cheaper.

Since you are only replacing one I suggest you have the store check the tread depth, and if there is a difference you can have the excess rubber shaved on the new tire.

Another option is trying to sell the three good tires on Ebay, and getting 4 new tires. Not sure how this would work out money wise, but if you want different tires this is an option.

FWIW - I had the same situation with my 02' Legacy GT.

It happened few weeks after I got new Yokohamas for it from the Tirerack.

I've used them for few times, and like the service, I use the shop that is recommended by them, they ship to the shop, I supply the car, and it's done.

Of course you want to make sure that the shop is good.

The only disadvantage is that it usually take few days, up to a week to get this done.

On that occasion I had to get a new tire quickly, and to my surprise - Subaru dealer was the only place around having exactly the same tires in stock, I was prepared to get all 4 replaced, but they measured them,turned out within 1/4'', and I got away with only 1 tire replaced. It did cost a bit more (like 10 or 20 bucks), compared to tirerack, but my wife didn't have to drive in snow storm with the donut....

HTH, YMMV

Good luck,

-Michael

02' Legacy GT wagon