Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sticks in 4th

My 84 4wd hatchback sticks in 4th gear if I come to a stop while in gear. If I take it out of 4th, go to neutral or third, while still moving 15 mph or so, it is fine. Putting the transfer case in neutral and shutting off the engine allows me to bang it out of gear. 211k, so maybe the syncros have a notch worn in them? I don't think it's clutch drag because of the engine off, transfer case in neutral thing. That should freewheel everything. Ideas? Russell

its not known as a transfer case. It's still considered part of the transmission.

First off, check the tranny fluid. Fill if low. If that doesn't help, try putting an additive in there like Lucas transmission additive. If that still doesn't help, then its time to go hunting through the junkyard for a transmission...

How about "internal, integrated, part-of-the-transmission case"? Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion about additives. Maybe that will help compensate for some of the wear, otherwise I guess I'll live with it. Maybe pushing it backwards with the drive selector in neutral would release it? Worth a try, anyhow. Russell

No, only 4th. After I get it out of gear, it will go into any gear, including reverse, without grinding. So, either the clutch drags only after a stop while in 4th gear, or there is something strange about 4th. If it was the clutch, I don't understand why it would jam up only in 4th gear. This doesn't mean that it can't possibly be the clutch, just that I don't understand. Russell

Mine's been doing that (often, but not always) for a couple of years. I thought it was clutch drag, but after making wild experimental adjustments, nothing seemed to help. I just remember to take it out of 4th just before stopping, and I'm good. I figure at 295,000 miles, it ain't gonna be perfect:rolleyes: .

It sounds as if you have a bad fork in the transmssion, or a bad synchro. I'm thinking a badly shot synchro. I would change the fluid and drain the fluid thry wither a paint strainer os cheese cloth and check for metal parts. Also watch the color of the fluid, if it looks goldish in color, those are brass paritcles etc

nipper