Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question????

whitwolf716

Why? i have a sugestion, don't go with a v6, i mean, it pretty much won't fit. instead, if you have a must for more power, do a ej22 swap..its a 4 banger, but way more power than your motor. you should be able to get up to 145 horse power or so. this swap requires quite a bit of knowledge on what your doing.what are you inteding to do? change tranny, diff's everything, or just put in a bigger motor. if you just want to put in a different motor, you'll need a adapter plate

well hope this helps

EDIT::: i just noticed this was a '80 brat. forget what i said about ea81

Like Soobmater said, I would go with an EJ-series Subaru 4cyl if you want more power. Your stock engine has 60-some horsepower. An EJ22 2.2L out of an early Legacy will get you up around 140hp, and if that's not enough, you could go with an EJ20G turbo engine from a WRX that produces 227hp stock with tons of room for improvement. Either of those engines will fit without too much modification, but they're really tight. I can't imagine a 6cyl engine fitting in a gen 1 chassis without some SERIOUS fab work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... I may be out of my league here, but here goes.

I have read both threads on this topic. While I AM new to Subaru, I am not new to the automotive industry.

First, there are many problems with engine/drivtrain swaps. Even swaping a larger engine from the same manufacturer can have a huge share of problems. Then adding to that, fabricating to fit something that was not intended, plus a heavier load on suspension and body/frame, then add the stress of off road (I assume that is the intent of use with this vehicle)... well it has been done, and very successfully by the pros who have a lot of time and money to do it many times over just to get it right.

If you have a lot of time and money to work at this, and want lots of horse power/torque, look at the the larger V-6 engines, like GM's 4.3 or Ford's 4.0 liter. Plus a whole new drive train to go with it, then all new suspension. This project could get rather pricey.

If you are like most people who aren't tied into a bank account that seems to have no end (and I think this would fit you more accurately due to the base vehicle you are working with), my suggestion would be to try the simpler swaps of the larger Subaru engines that produce ad admireable amount of power/torque.

Hey, I'll be honest here. I am intersted in the Subaru's because of the power/torque they produce out of the small package. I am looking at a 300+ hp 1974 VW Karman Ghia Street Rod. Something that would take considerably more work, money, time and have far less reliability if I built a VW based engine (which I am familiar with) to do the same job.

My hat is off to you when ventures are taken in this area. Just try to make an educated decision, a well thought out decision, before delving into something that you may loose a lot of time and money on only to find you do not have the resources to make the end results satifactory.

Good luck!

Yes, it fits with work and is a great engine. I would suggest the 2Ltr turbo though with the 5 spd. WRX engines and trannys, domestic and imported, are cheap and pleantiful and will give you the same power as the EG33 with less weight, easier install and a simple upgrade to 280Hp via ECU flash and exhaust.

Yes, it fits with work and is a great engine. I would suggest the 2Ltr turbo though with the 5 spd. WRX engines and trannys, domestic and imported, are cheap and pleantiful and will give you the same power as the EG33 with less weight, easier install and a simple upgrade to 280Hp via ECU flash and exhaust.

but wouldn't there be a higher power potential with the extra 1.3 liters? what if you did everything to the EG33 as the EJ20tt?

take the 3.3, smack two turbos on it, port and polish, headers, you know...do everything you can, and i'm SURE that it would be stronger and faster than any STi or WRX engine with equal mods

but wouldn't there be a higher power potential with the extra 1.3 liters? what if you did everything to the EG33 as the EJ20tt?

take the 3.3, smack two turbos on it, port and polish, headers, you know...do everything you can, and i'm SURE that it would be stronger and faster than any STi or WRX engine with equal mods

Probably. If you've tens of thousands of dollars to blow on an engine, go for it.

The EJ20G is probably the best bang for your buck as far as Subaru engines go.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a pretty big overstatement. A non-running SVX with a good motor but a bad trans (VERY common) can be had for $500- $800. Pull the motor and sell parts off it and EASILY make back everything you've got in it.

The SVX 3.3L is incredibly overbuilt. In NA form (as offered) it made 230 hp. Several have been turboed without changing the internals. The internals are forged, and can easily stand up to mild boost, in the 7-10 psi range. It was designed to handle boost, but poor sales led Subaru to pursue other directions (4cyl turbos).

The 3.3 will bolt up to most Subie 90's vintage trannies.

One of the best motors Subaru ever built.

It would be VERY hard to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a project like this. And it would be VERY hard to blow up a 3.3, unless you do something really stupid (like try to run 25 lbs. of boost).