Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pickup tube

Mine won't come out. I've tried severa Blaster applications, vice grips, and heat. It has only moved a little. I managed to crimp the base some and mess up the mounting edge on the block. Pics attatched.

How do I get it out? Just keep heating and repeating?

I know I'm going to need a new o-ring, but I don't think it was in my seal kit. It should be rubber right? Pic of the rings I'm not sure about attached.

Also, any tips on cleaning the varnish and stuff from inside the block with the case and pistons and all assembled?

--Ed

post-8374-136027604125_thumb.jpg

post-8374-136027604133_thumb.jpg

post-8374-136027604138_thumb.jpg

post-8374-136027604156_thumb.jpg

I ended up using a cold chisel to get mine out - needless to say, i have to repace it with a new one! It wasn't very expensive.

An auto parts store should have a selection of standard o-rings, take the pickup along and find ones that fits.

http://www.thepartsbin.com has the correct oil pump o-ring listed for the EA82 and ER27. they are always very difficult to remove. just keep trying. i ended up getting mine out and reusing it....and mechanic beware, don't plan on reusing that old o-ring. mine was brittle and in horrible shape and fell apart. but i'm thinking that thing is in there so tight i don't know that it could ever leak. it's a tough call, mine was in terrible shape but it was so damn hard to get out i can't imagine it leaking so i still can't decide if i'll replace it next time i have to do one. next time i would install the oring and possibly use some anaerobic sealant in a strategic position as well.

I ended up using a cold chisel to get mine out - needless to say, i have to repace it with a new one! It wasn't very expensive.

An auto parts store should have a selection of standard o-rings, take the pickup along and find ones that fits.

This method works almost every time.

I'll keep trying to get it out. Hopefully intact. Vice grips are how it got crimped. Had to make them that tight to not slip with rubber tape and a rag. Now the tube wants to bend at that spot, as if it wasn't tough enough before.

Dealer only wants $11 for a new one, but thealleyboy has one for me :).

Good call on the parts store for o-ring. With my luck trying to find Soob parts around here, no one will have the right size.... Should it be a "hi-temp" or anything?