Ultimate Subaru Message Board

line of oil?

what would cause a staight line of oil to appear on the underside of my hood? oil pump gasket or oil pan gasket. i have reaplace both gaskets(oil pan 2x)

Which way does the oil run, left/right or front/rear. Where is it front. rear , left or right side

nipper

Sounds like oil is being flung by one of the belts. Do you have A/C? when the front shaft seal goes out on a compressor, it (Ester or Pag oil)will be flung like that.

Yeah, is the oil right above the belt in the front, going from side to side? Could also be if you are leaking PS fluid onto the belt, or the oil filter is leaking onto the belt a little.

If it's going from front to back on the passenger side, it could be the inner CV joint throwing grease, if the boot is ripped. But this looks lumpier than oil. And you'd smell it burning off the cat too.

if this is on your hatch it could be the main front seal. When mine was leaking on my 81 it would throw up some oil. Try to find out what pully the oil is comming from.

center pully=main seal (oil pump is below so oil shouldn't leak up)

AC pully=AC might be leaking

Power steering=power steering leak?

Did you go through any really big puddles? That would throw all sorts of stuff up.

yes its in my hatch, yes it gose left to right. ac belt is off. took it off cause running the ac made the car run to hot for my comfort. its not the cv boot cause they both blew on my way back from tacome this summber, put out alot of smoke when it hit the hot cat. its on the left side right above the ac comprsser. oh and no power steering.