Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I do the 5sp D/R swap in my 84 wagon?

Guest Shummy 84

Guest Shummy 84

The stock 4sp D/R my my 84 wagon is getting tired, and I'm considering the swap. I've read the archives that deal with this & noticed two different discussions on the matter, the first of which mentions that late-model 5sp D/R's are AWD & that you also need to use an LSD to keep from blowing your diff's. So.....

To those in the know:

Is it true that 5sp D/R's are AWD, or are they part-time like the 4sp D/R's?

Do you really need an LSD to save your diff's, or just matching gear ratios front & rear? I suppose if they're AWD, you'd have to have an LSD to run on pavement, huh?

Lastly, for those of you that have performed the swap, does it positively or negatively effect performance when coupled with a stock EA81?

I'm hoping that 5sp D/R's operate the same as 4sp D/R's. I don't think I want full-time 4wd. Thanks!!!

Guest baccaruda

there are some of each style of 5 speed.

2 wheel drive (yuck)

2wd/4hi/4low (standard dual range 5 speed)

4hi/4low/locking center diff ("THE" RX transmission. 1987-89.. full time 4wd)

2wd/4wd "turbo traction" (push button / on demand 4wd, single range)

4wd full time single range, locking center diff

you need matching ratios only. LSDs are upgrades and can be altered to fit your ratio.

Guest chef tim

Honestly, don't waste the effort unless your going to Weberize and possibly lift your car for off roading. I have a five speed in my Hatch and rarely use 5th. Tim

Guest GeneralDisorder

well - there are other considerations as well as those mentioned by others. The 5 spd D/R is a little bigger, and without a lift is a very tight fit in the tranny tunnel of your 84. You might have to do some banging / cutting to make it work. There's also the issue of the shift linkage, which has been done several ways. There's a board member that sells a kit to make your old linkage work. There's also interesting wiring issues. There are two types of 5 spd D/R wiring harnesses, and one will work properly for the low-range light on the dash, and the other won't (the tranny will work fine, but the indicator lights on the dash won't be right).

GD

Guest Shummy 84

Thanks for the info guys....big help. I was considering a lift as well, so the issue of space might not be a problem. How do the 5 speed stack up once you add bigger tires?

Guest GeneralDisorder

My project is comming along - I have been off the air for the last two weeks doing my Annual Training with the national guard. I left the 10th, and just got back on Saturday. I've got the parts wagon up on blocks in the driveway, and I've started pulling parts off it. Yesterday was the bumper bending day (cause I had a friend over to help, and 3/8" plate is rather heavy, and hard to heat / bend by myself). Tonight I'm gonna rip the parts wagon apart. I'm working slow tho, the heat is just killer down here. Supposed to be 98 today.

GD

Guest Stupidru

so will 2wd/4wd "turbo traction" (push button / on demand 4wd, single range) bolt right up with no special alterations? What vehicle were these tranny's in, early ea82t gl-10's?