Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP: CEL P0440 <2000 Forester>

If the caps OK , then have a look at the carbon canister and make sure the canister hasn't been hit . They are in a bad place ( right hand rear just behind the right rear wheel ) and tend to get hit and cracked which can trip this code

SEA#3

I have been getting this same code on the 99 outback. I have checked the purge solenoid, the PSSV solenoid, and the pressure sensor, all are ok. I think I'm going to replace the gas cap next and/or do a leakdown test on the evap system. I will keep you informed.

EDIT: These might be helpful...

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/EvapEmission.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/Evap.pdf

I got this code in my 98 OBS right before my inspection was due a few months ago. I replaced the purge solenoid and it went away. It passed inspection and 500 miles later the CEL came back on.

I could replace solenoids and vacuum lines and $300 factory charcoal cans till I'm broke and senile, but guess what... I'm not dealing with it until my next inspection is due. At which time I'll probably just clear the CEL, pass and forget about it again.

If you don't need it fixed to pass inspection then I would just leave it. The EVAP system does NOTHING for performance or fuel economy, just cuts down on a percentage of air pollution. For a car with 100K+ miles on it I'm just not gonna worry about it.

I got this code in my 98 OBS right before my inspection was due a few months ago. I replaced the purge solenoid and it went away. It passed inspection and 500 miles later the CEL came back on.

I could replace solenoids and vacuum lines and $300 factory charcoal cans till I'm broke and senile, but guess what... I'm not dealing with it until my next inspection is due. At which time I'll probably just clear the CEL, pass and forget about it again.

If you don't need it fixed to pass inspection then I would just leave it. The EVAP system does NOTHING for performance or fuel economy, just cuts down on a percentage of air pollution. For a car with 100K+ miles on it I'm just not gonna worry about it.

I have inspection coming up in December. If you have a CEL you won't pass the emission testing. It would really bug me if I spent $$ and the same CEL came back again 500 miles later.

During the summer the CEL came on and it was the knock sensor.

I told my wife if this stuff continues with the Forester it's gonna be hasta la vista for it. Can you say HONDA CR-V ?

~Howard

:grin:

My mechanic said that the locking gas cap I was using might have caused the problem. He cleared the code and all seems OK.

I got a new non-locking Stant :) gas cap just to be safe.

He said that if the problem returns he will go further. He didn't want to run up the bill.

I'm due next month for state inspection and emission testing so if the CEL returns it will have to be taken care of at that time.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

~Howard

:cool:

• 6 months later...

Due to the pending expiration of our NYS inspection, and the fact that they now check OBDII codes, I need to finally get rid of this code. I bought a gas cap and was going to replace it. When I got it off, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the gas filler tube was rusted through from the outside (salt :banghead:). The local dealer in Ithaca had one in stock ($120.00), so apparently they fail somewhat often. I will start what looks like the painful process of installing it tonight. Fingers crossed that this fixes the leak.

Due to the pending expiration of our NYS inspection, and the fact that they now check OBDII codes, I need to finally get rid of this code. I bought a gas cap and was going to replace it. When I got it off, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the gas filler tube was rusted through from the outside (salt :banghead:). The local dealer in Ithaca had one in stock ($120.00), so apparently they fail somewhat often. I will start what looks like the painful process of installing it tonight. Fingers crossed that this fixes the leak.

thanks for the update, let us know. gas filler is not a part i would have thought of selling if parting out a car.

for those of you willing to run with the cel on, how do you know when a new problem occurs??

• 2 months later...

I finally completed the gas filler tube repair about 6 weeks ago. I ended up replacing the filler tube, gas cap, shut valve, and related hoses, spent around $225. MIL has been out ever since and it passed the NYS inspection. This morning the Jeep gave me the same !@#$ code!!! :banghead: