Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am a proud new owner of a 2000 Leagacy Outback Wagon. I really like the car so far. I have had to service it already though. The TPS kinda went bad. It was still working, but the resistance was low. It idles and runs much better with the new TPS installed. The only bad thing was the $100 for the sensor. I have been scanning the board and it looks pretty good. I found a good message board for Jeeps when I bought my Wrangler and learned tons about it and I plan to do the same with my Outback.

Couple Questions

1. Service Manual? I am having a hard time finding one for my Outback. Any suggestions?

2. Any special service things I should know about?

3. Any cheap or easy mods I should consider doing?

Thanks

:D

I myself am new Subaru owner and a first time all/4wd owner, and have learned a LOT from this group.

Make SURE the tires on your car have almost identical circumference or you can create 'torque bind' and severely harm drivetrain components.

Um - confirm you have normal engine temp readings and normal coolant level.

I'm sure others wil have advice more specific.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Welcome to the board! :-) I've learned loads form this board aswell.

I recommend you check and change the the front and rear diff oils regularly (30k) and switch to synthetic. Same for the ATF. This should ensure smooth running of the AWD in the future.

ROTATE your tires at 5k to ensure same circumference on all tires thus avoiding damage and torque bind.

Thats about it, everything else is very solid on these cars. :headbang:

Enjoy your Scoobie and have fun :brow: !

you can download the entire factory service manuals from http://techinfo.subaru.com . $20 for a 72 hour subscription. it takes about 5 hours to do with high speed internet. use the search to find old posts with more info about it. it is the absolute best deal for unbelievable information, diagrams, and troubleshooting help.

• 8 months later...

Heh there,

Just bought my first Subaru too this past week.

You are looking for a manual...check out ebay online, they have manuals for many makes, usually cheap. Have bought lots off ebay, safe (been screwed once but once out of many purchases).

Enjoy!

cdn subaru

I am a proud new owner of a 2000 Leagacy Outback Wagon. I really like the car so far. I have had to service it already though. The TPS kinda went bad. It was still working, but the resistance was low. It idles and runs much better with the new TPS installed. The only bad thing was the $100 for the sensor. I have been scanning the board and it looks pretty good. I found a good message board for Jeeps when I bought my Wrangler and learned tons about it and I plan to do the same with my Outback.

Couple Questions

1. Service Manual? I am having a hard time finding one for my Outback. Any suggestions?

2. Any special service things I should know about?

3. Any cheap or easy mods I should consider doing?

Thanks

:D