Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question on 1986 gl D/R sedan.57K miles

N8NQU

:wave: in 1986 4 door gl sedan did they offer fuel injection????iI found a very clean ONE OWNER 5 speed d/r with 57K miles.it's out of state with no rust.untill i go look at it i was wondering if anything i should worry about if it's not F/I.the 1988 3door gl i have (wifes) is F/I and it's been trouble free (232K) on the clock.

will only be FI if its a turbo car.. otherwise, its got the hicrappy carb

but .. one owner, clean and 57k make any old soob very attractive.

How much are they asking?

EDIT:.. Miles fox has an 86 with spfi.. but that isn't the norm.. apparently it was an experiment by subaru

Calebz,i think i worked out a deal on it for $1.500.it's located in N.J.the subaru dealership just got done doing an inspection and changed the timing belts with no other problems found.i had a 86 wagon with a carb on it and i had good luck.Bill.

There are a few of us in NJ if you would like someone to check it out for you before the long drive. I am sure it should be fine with such low miles and the fact that the dealer serviced it but there are some shady dealers out there. The dealership near me is full of A holes who do nothing but try to rip you off. Boz

the 86 spfi was jims, i had worked on the speedo...

i had an 86 wagon, an 86 sedan, both carbbed, and my 83 wagon has the motor and trans from an 86.

personally i like the 85 and 86 best, the gauges, the distributors are good for other applications, and the steering wheel doesnt look like a big dildo!

if its only got 57k, good hell of a find! i dont think you will have any trouble with it, as long as you take care of it, and if the previous owner hasnt serviced it, well, at least its not due for a timing belt yet (almost-service schedule recommends replacing timing belt every 60000 miles)

the 86 is probably the best year for the 5spd dual range 4x4 transmission.

your car being carbbed, as long as it gets driven often enough, the carb wont crap out from dry rot. just keep clean filters in it and you will be good forever.

and a personal story from me- I picked up an 86 wagon that had an estimated 300,000 miles, carbureted, i went to go pick it up from the previous owner, who had it sitting for over a year, and it started right up. the body was about shot, but it ran good, the only problem was a rusty brake line and rusty ffuel line. i used the motor in an 88, then used the heads on another motor, and the carb on an other motor, and put the 300,000 mile trany in a 60,000 mile car, and it shifted better than my 150,000 mile tranny!

you got a good find, especially from michigan. I live in NE indiana, and i know how rare a good soob and parts can be.

Locally, you got Myself, TomRHere, and 86 Subaru to call on for help, we would like to have another meet next year, and we would like for you to meet with us some day!

oh, another thing------it has a 5spd d/r? from what i have read the didnt offer a 5spd in a sedan. is yours originally like that from the factory, or did someone convert it. you dont have PRNDL on the instrument panel?

i had put a 5spd in an 4wd automatic sedan, and we put a 5spd in a friends 2wd auto sedan

hwew do you have your pics hosted at?

i got pics on yahoo photos, but i cant link directly.

get with subaru junkie for pics hosting.

i guess you can upload a pic as an atatchment from your computer to your message, but i havent tried that, doing all my comm at the library

but anyway, keep up on the board and you will know what my situation will be. some people will be following it, because the reason for which my car is in idaho was once hot topic on the old board. and i will be posting about making the tip out there.

anyway, stay tuned, drop me an email milesfox@yahoo.com