Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ATF Leak, not pan gasket, not overfilled...?

I have a 95 Subaru Legacy LS with 140K on it. I bought it used about 4 months ago and I know it was not well cared for since I replaced so many things on it since.

For the past few months it has been producing a bad smell when I come to a stop or when I get out of the car. I'm thinking probably ATF, since it doesn't smell like burning oil and I've inspected the brake lines that go over the exhaust y-pipe.

I changed the pan gasket on the tranny since it looked like it was leaking there, right at the front of the pan, then dropping down and dripping onto the Y-pipe. I could see white puffs of smoke when I got out and looked under the car, as small drops of the stuff landed on the hot exhaust.

One weird thing is that I can see these same puffs intermittantly that seem to come from inside the heat shielding on the down pipes that come straight out of the engine.

No clue, but would really like to get rid of the smell.

I have a 95 Subaru Legacy LS with 140K on it. I bought it used about 4 months ago and I know it was not well cared for since I replaced so many things on it since.

For the past few months it has been producing a bad smell when I come to a stop or when I get out of the car. I'm thinking probably ATF, since it doesn't smell like burning oil and I've inspected the brake lines that go over the exhaust y-pipe.

I changed the pan gasket on the tranny since it looked like it was leaking there, right at the front of the pan, then dropping down and dripping onto the Y-pipe. I could see white puffs of smoke when I got out and looked under the car, as small drops of the stuff landed on the hot exhaust.

One weird thing is that I can see these same puffs intermittantly that seem to come from inside the heat shielding on the down pipes that come straight out of the engine.

No clue, but would really like to get rid of the smell.

My 95 Legacy LS does the same thing. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I just keep monitoring fluid levels to make sure everything is OK. I don't have the $$ to do the necessary repairs to it until I sell my 2000 Civic HX. (Which I'm selling, because it's the only car of mine in great condition. All the others I bought used and abused.) My Legacy has 160k miles on it. I should get under there with a pressure washer or something.. lol. (The whole engine needs some serious cleaning to get off a deep layer of dirt that came from the prior owners.)