Ultimate Subaru Message Board

putting a manual tranny back together

So I had a input shaft seal go out on me in a 96 OBW with 2.2 and manual transmission. Needed a clutch and timing belt so I tore a bunch of stuff out of my car all at once. Had lots of bonding time too :) Anyhow I'm putting the tranny back together and I'm not liking how the shift rod is sitting in the shift forks. It just doesn't feel quit right. I have the center dif house on the trans axle. Its just kind of sitting there with 2 bolts in it. I'm just not liking how it feels. Of course you can't really get a shift lever on it. It feels as if its not locking the shift rod into the apporpriate gear once you put the transmission into gear. Like it has potential to get in 2 gears at once. So my question is what is the stantard procedure for putting the center dif housing on the transaxle and getting every thing lined up so it works right. Any help will be appreciated.

Really! Its quite easy. I have had a few full size truck trannies apart and these are a breeze compared. I think I have it figured out. Didn't have time to try it out today. Maybe I will post some info if anybody is interested in digging around in their trannies :)

Maybe I will post some info if anybody is interested in digging around in their trannies :)

Yes, please do! I doubt that I'll ever see the inside of a tranny--but knowledge is power and information is gold, so I'd appreciate anything you care to share.

Really! Its quite easy. I have had a few full size truck trannies apart and these are a breeze compared.

Quantum500, You have just discovered the secret of Subarus reliability. Compared to just about anything else out there, they are simply the easiest to fix if anything goes wrong. Given that they also perform quite well, they are also well worth the effort of fixing. The parts that should be easy to get it are very easy, and the parts that whould be well supported are held together quite firmly. Very well designed vehicles.

I actually have some good ones around that I could have swapped but for a seal?? I must be cheap or something but I think I can find much better use of those trannies than trading them off for a seal. I'll take some pictures of the hard part of disassebly and reassembly and post them up. I know one thing for sure, no one should be afraid to do it. I'm totally blown away that this big of a board has not one member that knows anything about the internals of a tranny!!

I think they are all chickens! :D I know that those seals go out from time to time. I have heard of more than one transmission on this board making funny sounds or not shifting right. So the lack of excuses to open one up is nil. Further more where is the spirit of learning about how things work?

[...] So the lack of excuses to open one up is nil. Further more where is the spirit of learning about how things work?

Sell, I plan on some quality time with Emily in the nearish future. When she hits 200K, I'll be tearing down the engine, and may dive into the tranny as well, to have a look at how everything is wearing. How many seals are we talking about here? I may just replace all of them and go to synthetic lubricant while I'm at it. . . Have you noticed any significant wear points on the 5MT (where do they wear out fastest)?

My tranny has 142,000 on it and I can't see that anything is wrong. Minumal amount of debri on the drain plug when I drained it. All gears are polished with little wear. I think the only thing that can really go bad and cause harm is bearings, and syncros. That is a whole different ball game though. Bearing failure is what most likely causes high mileage trannsmission whine. The transmission splits vertical unlike everthing else I have ever seen wich has a inspection cover on the top then some sort of tail housing that comes apart. To get the gear sets out you have to partial disassemble one of them and then slide them out. Not fun, and not how subaru builds their transmissions. Because of the vertical split design bearings have a more likley chance to spin. The bearings are machined with a small hole in the outer race that sits on a stud in the case to lock it into position. If the bearing gets too much resistance it breaks the aluminum stud off and spins in the case. Creating the noise from spinning and also changing the clearance between the gear sets wich really makes noise. Just some thing I noticed while taking mine apart. I think if you catch it quick enough you can replace the offending bearing and glue it back in the case with super glue or what ever you think might work instead of spending big money on a new transmission or cases. There are five seals in the whole transmission/center dif housing/tail housing. The input shaft seal, the two front axle seals,the shift rod seal, and the out put shaft seal. The input and the shift shaft being the ones that need disassembley of some sort to get to. The tail shaft seal can be done by only removeing the rear drive shaft. The front axle seals by removing the front axels. Thats about all I know. I'll try and update when I get a chance to work on it again. By the way its the shift shaft that is giving me trouble. It goes all the way through the center dif housing in to the transmission and has to be very carefully put back into place as you slide the two pieces back together. Lets just say a few curse words have been uttered in the presence of these two pieces.

So I had a input shaft seal go out on me in a 96 OBW with 2.2 and manual transmission. Needed a clutch and timing belt so I tore a bunch of stuff out of my car all at once. Had lots of bonding time too :) Anyhow I'm putting the tranny back together and I'm not liking how the shift rod is sitting in the shift forks. It just doesn't feel quit right. I have the center dif house on the trans axle. Its just kind of sitting there with 2 bolts in it. I'm just not liking how it feels. Of course you can't really get a shift lever on it. It feels as if its not locking the shift rod into the apporpriate gear once you put the transmission into gear. Like it has potential to get in 2 gears at once. So my question is what is the stantard procedure for putting the center dif housing on the transaxle and getting every thing lined up so it works right. Any help will be appreciated.

A couple of questions

1) can you shift into all the gears?(1st through to 5th and reverse) if you can you may have one of the shift forks on the syncronizer hubs is misaligned or out of the proper grove

2)does the shifter get blocked in one particular gear ? If so you have knocked one of the gates for the shifter forks forward /back and it's going into two gears

Hope this helps

SEA#3

It is possible to accidentally put a tranny in two gears at once. Be very carefull that you have a good neutral and can shift all the gears before installing into the car. also inspect for excessive wear on all gear faces and bearing surfaces do not have play when fitted with a new bearing. If you have to install a new lock to keep a bearing from spinning there is a fair chance you will get slight misalignment and a noisey transmission. Locktight red is the choice to keep a bearing shell from moving. I have even used this on Greyhound bus transmissions and that stuff stays.

I polish shift rods with emory paper for easier shifting and prefit them into the case to see that they work smoothly before assembly. I have had to do nothing at all to my Subaru tranny in 120,000 miles so like many here I have never taken it apart.

I'm a courious creature:brow: by nature and have a FWD 5speed that we fried(Stuck in one gear) getting home. Now that the motor is out it will shift again, whats up with that? Plan on taking it apart just to see what is going on in there.

Also have an 4EAT that I'm taking apart as it only has one forward gear and reverse working. Figure I can't do any more damage to it!!

I think they are all chickens! :D Further more where is the spirit of learning about how things work?

In order to brag a little and show that we are not "all chickens", when i was in my twenties ( a long, long, long time ago) I dismantled and repaired my Austin 1800 (front wheel drive)trans cause it was stuck in third. Took me one week and the repair was successful.

So I got it back together but not in the car yet. Everything seems to work fine. No pics, sorry, wasn't that ambitious. Basic run down on how to do it. You have to get the center dif housing and the tail shaft housing off to split the transmission. They will stay together when you do this. The shift shaft goes through the center dif housing and must be disassembled to get them apart. You must take the end off of the shift shaft witch has a double roll pin set up. Thats the first one I have ever seen. Next open up the inspection cover on the center dif housing and remove the bolt out of the shift shaft the holds the detent foot. This will let the shift shaft slide completly out of the center dif housing. Once you get that off you will see the overdrive gear on the back of the transmission. On the bottom gear set there is a collared bearing that you must take the bolts out of. Next is all of the bolts that hold the transmission halves together once you get all of those apart you can split the transmission by tapping it with a rubber mallet. It comes apart with the dipstick side up and off and that leaves the gear sets and the front dif in the other side. Don't try the wrong side first or you will have gears all over the floor. When you reassamble make sure all of the bearing are seated on the appropriate stud and that you apply a very small amount of silocine around the mating surfaces, as there is no gasket. The hard part is getting the shift shaft back in the right place. First step is to slide it into the center dif housing and getting the detent foot on the shaft but not bolted on. Once you have that you can place the shift shaft into the shift forks and slide everything home. Bolt the center dif housing to the transmission and then set the detent foot up so you can bolt it to the shaft. That should get you back together. Make sure the shift shaft is locked into place and you can shift gears before you reinstal the transmission.