Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC compressor / bracket interchange

I'm putting an 87 XT engine with spider intake in my wagon soon.

*My wagon has A/C w/ smaller squarish compressor.

*The XT engine has no A/C.

*Pull N Save has an XT with A/C w/ larger round compressor.

Obviously the bracket will fit on the engine and intake just fine.

Will that bracket for the round style compressor hold my square style compressor as well or am I chasing the wrong bracket?

I can't make it out to the yard, most likely, until the weekend, and would like to know if I should search for a different bracket instead of wasting my time with this one?? if anyone knows. thanks!

Cuda:

Those mountings are different. The A/C and alts switch places on the cars with the square compressors.

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems that the square A/C's show up more on the sportier models (turbos, gl10's, 4wd 5speeds).

I'm also looking for one of those square a/c pully bracket mounting deals, and they are tuff to find around here, so if you see an extra one at the yard...

good luck, John

i have seen the sqare kind with both the alternator outboard and the alternator inboard. i like these because you can mount the alternator with the compressor removed.

but the one with the inboard alt has odd sized belts, and that makes for trouble at the parts counter!

probably not exactly, although i have never compared. the round is the panasonic, and the sqare is the hitachi, and between the both, they have different belt tensioner pulleys. suppose the compressors would interchange, the pulleys will neeed to line up, and if they do, you might have to mix and match around for one of 3 style belts

but i am not telling you it wint fit............just as long as you got enough parts to play with!