Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rule #1 ... Protect your sidewalls ... Rule #2 refer to Rule #1!!!

FlyB0y

Yep, you guessed it, I just sacrificed one P205/75 R14 Cooper Discoverer STT (you know the ones they don't make in a 14" anymore :eek: ) to the Ft. Missoula Tank Proving Grounds ... next time I will just drive in the deep rut! :rolleyes: I didn't see that concrete footer of the sign pole with the jagged edges RIGHT where I drove my driver's side ft tire :drunk:

now I am looking for advice ... go cheap or get the toughest tire out there in a 14"??

I have decided to go ahead and trim out the fenders since I have alot of rust on the pass side in the rear, so lay it on me!!

What's the baddest toughest tire (with in reason still worried about $$$) that still wears reasonably with mostly highway miles? I'm thinking some TSL's, but I don't know how many miles to expect to get out of these ... and I'm interested in a reasonably aggressive mudder ... no Liberators for me :-p

If I go cheap I am thinking of doing the Walmart Mudders ... Supersport HT's ... these are only in 15" however, so I will have to convert to 15" pugs ... anyone tried these out yet?

P.S. .... in my infinte wisdom, my spare is a Walmart cheapy, so now I have a All Season radial mixed in with my discoverers ... should I switch the miss-matched tire out to the rear for now? also, what are the chances of patching the side wall from the inside and using a tube on the current tire (for off-road use only ... not on the road)

Go to your'e local "Big-R", "Grange Co-op", or what ever farm/outdoor store U have and get a "Tractor tire pach" They are BIG, thick and will seall up any side wall hole U got;) And yes, run a tube in it. It would be OK on the street 2, just not the HWY (would build up too much heat)

If U are looking for the best side wall around, it's tough to beat a biasply TSL!! They are TUFF!!! I'm not sure on tred life on the street thoe, I'm sure someone else can anser that.

Go to your'e local "Big-R", "Grange Co-op", or what ever farm/outdoor store U have and get a "Tractor tire pach" They are BIG, thick and will seall up any side wall hole U got;) And yes, run a tube in it. It would be OK on the street 2, just not the HWY (would build up too much heat)

If U are looking for the best side wall around, it's tough to beat a biasply TSL!! They are TUFF!!! I'm not sure on tred life on the street thoe, I'm sure someone else can anser that.

SCWEET!!!

thx a ton!! I'm gonna hit Quality Supply first thing tomarrow!! :brow:

I was thinking the TSL would be the way to go next, and I guess getting an extra inch in clearance can't be terribly bad ... and well maybe I shouldn't worry so much about tread life if I am gonna put holes in the sidewall so much :rolleyes::D

should I put the spare on the rear so I have 2 of the same tire on the front? ... the spare is the same size and seems to be truly the same diameter and width of the STT's ...

I wouldn't worrie about it to much, just don't throw it in 4WD unless U are on low traction surface just to be safe. So long as the size is verry close U shouldn't have any problems.

OMG!! I just went to Interco's site and they have 4 28/8.50 14LT with cosmetic issues for only $45 each!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I will have to get a 5th that is full price I guess, so I won't have the same problem I have now again with a goofy spare :-p

image.php?u=242&dateline=1056008051the avatars those jeep guys use :lol:

this thread reminds me that i gotta start saving up for the kumhos i want.

LOL!!!!!! :lol:

So True

Anyone wana have a fender trimming party?!?!! :drunk:

Mine's gonna start soon as the UPS man shows up in the next couple days :banana: