Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Codes 22, 33, 35 & 51....

Well, found the knock sensor, removed it... cleaned what i could, re-installed. Also did the same with my O2 sensor cause it looked like it was loose.

Cars performance didnt change. Except, now my CEL likes to flicker, stay on, go off... spurraticly.

When i got home i pulled codes:

22 = Knock Sensor or Circuit

33 = Vehicle Speed Sensor

35 = Purge Control Solenoid or Circuit

51 = Neutral Switch or Circuit

I dont have a FSM or Chiltons or anything on this EA82T, and its all still kinda new to me with all these damn sensors. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

-Brian

Does your speedo work? If so the VSS (33) is a bogus code.

Connect the green test connectors, turn the key to on, and listen for the PCS clicking under the hood. If it doesn't click, it's bad :/

Neutral switch, not sure how to test that.

I'd say connect the green connectors and go for a drive. That will make the ECU check everything again. The CEL will go on after a few minutes. If it blinks, everything is good. If it comes on solid, find a place to pull over and read the new codes.

• 2 months later...

On all those codes -- have you cleaned up the ground connections as you find them? I'm slowly working through those on my 1988 -- unplug, unscrew, clean with elbow grease, clean with volatile Electronic Parts Cleaner, clean with a rubber eraser or scrape if crud remains, add a dab of conductive grease, reassemble.

I keep seeing mention that the electrical ground gets bad on older cars -- including from the ham radio community, where they use big braided metal connectors between body parts to ensure proper ground.

Radio ground is different from electrical ground, I realize. But the basic point is that all the sensors are comparing some voltage to the reference, which is ground. And if that's dirty, "garbage in garbage out."

This doesn't answer the question -- but I know for sure it's worth looking for bad connections, dirty connections, corroded connections, connections with water in them, connections with dead bugs in them, and open (broken) or intermittent (almost not quite broken) wires hiding inside apparently good insulation.

As my doctor keeps telling me, "the older your body gets, the more new and interesting ways it finds to fail unexpectedly, so keep checking everything."