Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subarus on the Outer Banks?

I dont know what everyone's schedule is, but at some point we should really get a group together and head down to the Outer Banks. There are miles of beaches that are great for Subaru driving. There is great surfing, fishing, boating and drinking. If anyone is interested in cordinating something, let me know.

-Jack:banana:

Been talked about before.......absolutely my favorite place on the east coast.Windsurfing,surfcasting,over sands driving,a peaceful place......there's just so many reasons to go there.Only problem is getting a group together there.

I'm open to making an attempt.Mid-May is my preference,before the summer inhabitants invade and the fish are just working thier way north in major schools.

Take my 6inch lifted desert camo brat to the oregon inlet beach ramp quite often!!!

My son and I have a blast.. we tear through the sand, and pass people on the soft stuff..

seen many exploders stuck to the axles... my brat, just floats right over..

only problem is that you need to run your rpm's high to have the power to drive on the really soft stuff..

but it is fun... and people stop, and point and follow you with their eyes... it is a crowded beach driving area..

look me up next time you go down.. I am only 2 hours from there..

real fun..

Mike

mikldom@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...

What are the regs regarding running our cars on the beach? I was under the impression that we didn't have enough ground clearance to do this. I was down there again in august and i really wanted to go out but i didn't think i would be able to. Oh yeah, nice to see some VA people here, i was born in Norfolk and lived in Chesapeake for a few years before moving up here.

Ben

I went out on the sand at Carolina Beach/Fort Fisher in my 97 OB & was fine. Only problem is staying out of the ruts. A trip would be great, but I'm not sure if they are allowing beach driving now after the hurricane that went through. There are no "regs" exactly, just that the vehicle needs to have current vehicle registration, license tag, and the operators must have a valid driver's license.

I know they are going to start charging to drive down at the Fort Fisher, but believe the other areas like Hatteras & Ocracoke are still free.

There are a few good sites about driving out there, just search google.

Here is a news article on the beach driving fee at Fort Fisher