Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/F questions.. Skip?

Guest calebz

Guest calebz

Could someone explain the function of the EGR system and its effects on A/F mixture for my 87 turboWagon?

Same question for the o2 sensor..

Please also explain the negative side effects of malfunctioning/disconnected units(egr and O2)

If the egr solenoid was disconnected on my turbowagon, shouldn't there be an error code flashing?

I know these questions sound kinda dumb.. but humor me please

thanks

Guest wjmgl10

o2 senses o2 in the ex. mixture. i dont remember the numbers here, but some ammount of o2 means lean, and some other amounts mean rich. The ECU adjusts the injector pulses accordingly.

does that answer the Q(s) you have?

Guest turboroo

this was a topic a while back but heres my input on it again. egr reduces combustion temps. I would leave it hooked up and not mess with subarus enginering it can under a worst case situation lead to engine failure. just the risk of that is enough to keep me from messing with it. as for 02 operation there is a .5v reference voltage on the signal wire generated by the ecu. the o2 will generate a signal that will override the referance voltage. it varys from about .1 to .9v. higher voltage is an indicator of a rich mixture or low o2 content in the exhaust. subarus seem to do halfway decent without it hooked up but once again it is there for a reason. it will make the cat last much longer and run cleaner and better gas mileage.