Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever tip a soobie over ?

Scott in Bellingham

I've got some of my '91 Loyale wagon after my son rolled it about a month ago. As soon as I find the disk I'll put them on the gallery. He and 3 friends all were wearing belts and all were unhurt, thank God. Luckily the car ended up perched on a stump right side up. Took a lot of work to get off the stump. Had several people tell us we should just call a wrecker, cuz' we'd never get it out with my pickup. But, once we got the stump out of the way and cleared some brush, it pulled right out. I started it up and he followed me home, about 30 miles. Was a bit cold and airy, but drove fine.

Closest I've been to tipping a roo over was when I was doing a 35mph slide sideways. Was doing great till I hit a soft spot in the dirt and caused her to hop twice on two wheels. Blew the front tire off the bead. So, I swapped tires, in the dark of course, and went on my merry way never to go fully sideways 12 hours after a rain storm!

It always blows me away, how many folks seem to survive really horrible accidents in these beasties. The occupants survive, the cars don't seem to do quite as well...

Given how many are on this list, and how crazy some of them are, it is pretty amazing we don't have RIP's for members, just their vehicles.

A friend of mine rolled her Loyale wagon off an embankment on a winter road. She says the tierod broke or something, apparently a problem with thes Subarus (?? Not that anyone else has noticed!) but she walked away from it with shock and bruises.

The craziest Subaru survival story I have ever heard was when I worked as a repo agent. My boss's daughter, 15 years old, took a 96 outback I had repo'd that day out for a joyride. At some point along the way, she wound up cooking along well above the speed limit. Somehow, she left the road, hit an embankment, became airborne, and landed on the roof on a large boulder. When I saw the car, it was literally folded almost in half. She was stuck for about half an hour before someone went by and saw it, they had to cut it all the crap to get her out. She had a few scratches from flying glass, and a good lump on her head from where the airbag, her head, and the collapsing roof made a triangle. Needless to say, we were immensely pissed off, lost a client because of it, but it amazed me... she should have died. Also rather pointless to mention, there was hardly anything worth salvaging... one wheel came off along with the hub, and it was decent, and a rear taillight. Kinda ugly.

about 8-9 yrs back my mech showed me th outback that a guy he knew was driving to work when he fell asleep and hit a tree at around 40.lets just say the engine was destroyed.roof started to crumple (behind front doors) straight across.if i remember correctly the drive-line was messed up (drive shaft bent,third member pushed back)

amazingly he walked away cause if it wasn't for the airbag an the fact that he had his seat belt on......he would of been through the windshield.

my mech was able to salvage from behind the front doors on back.

370Wrecked_Ru_001-med.jpg

It was found in the ditch upside down:(

Yeah, that's not just som punk kids stealing a car and just flipping (have seen the resaults from that several times) that guy crashed into that ditch, likely on accident, it's too bad as not too much longer and they may have found it intact.

Not off road, but a few months back, I passed a Forester resting on its roof on I-80. Didn't see it happen, and emergency services was already on the scene. What amazed me was there was no broken glass - the roof and supporting structure held up. There were lots of people standing about, none lying down, so I assume that the occupants were OK (for sure if they were belted in).

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, and it's the last time i bring a naggy g/f 4x4ing with me. arguing, at night, on the v-notch trail/ one of the upper power line trails in reiter trails. also playing with the gps... on a steep off camber section, the swampers offset lugs grabbed and climbed a stump, flipped me over into opposing embankment (upside down in a vnotch...). shattered passenger window, dented roof, roof/window support and crushed the front fender... door wouldn't open... no structual damage, but one hell of a good way to put the final word in an argument... killed that argument fast! no pictures, it was me and subafly a couple years ago when i was home on leave.

heheheh,,,,did she break up with you right away ,or did she just shut up real fast.....?:lol:

yeah, and it's the last time i bring a naggy g/f 4x4ing with me. arguing, at night, on the v-notch trail/ one of the upper power line trails in reiter trails. also playing with the gps... on a steep off camber section, the swampers offset lugs grabbed and climbed a stump, flipped me over into opposing embankment (upside down in a vnotch...). shattered passenger window, dented roof, roof/window support and crushed the front fender... door wouldn't open... no structual damage, but one hell of a good way to put the final word in an argument... killed that argument fast! no pictures, it was me and subafly a couple years ago when i was home on leave.

my uncle barrowed my mothers freinds justy once lol. Actualy he stole it and he got drunk:drunk: and tipped it off the side of a 30 foot drop off and hit a tree half way down. Later called her husband and tried to pull it back up the hill and home so he could think of something good to tell her before she got back home.

• 4 years later...

Not quite offroad, but 15 years ago my wife lost control of our 86 wagon while going through an s curve on ice and laid it on it’s side. The tow truck driver said it was totaled and she told him she’d drive it home and let me decide. No glass was broken. I replaced the left front fender. Three years ago, our daughter hit a deer, smashed the front bumper, headlight, hood, and radiator. I repaired that damage. We’re still driving that car. It’s now at 317,000 miles and still going strong. It refuses to die.