Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exhaust welding suggestions/tips?

***same thread from xt6.net***

last night someone was kind enough to throw some firewood my way. too bad it was in the middle of the freeway and i hit it at 65 mph. dented my transmission pan (still driveable though) and ripped my exhaust completely off. still made it to work like a dog on three legs though.

now i have to weld new exhaust. first time i welded my exhaust was my only exhaust experience, and i welded some new exhaust for my friend. lining up the new flanges, welding them on perpendicular and the right angle, then welding the pipe on correctly...getting it all to line up was a bit tricky and time consuming. any hints on doing this more effeciently this time?

typical flux core welders, dont burn through, let the welds cool. weld as if you were stitching and fill the middle

i find it easiest to tack weld the assembly and take it off the car to weld it fully

if the flange at the y pipe is intact you can bolt onto that.

dont make the exhaust one piece from the motor. this will be fun when you try to wotk underneath.

i meant tips in terms of suggestions, i can do the welding part. need advice on lining everything up like flanges, pipe and keeping it all straight and such.

i figured there might be exhaust tricks i know nothing about since i really don't know much about exhaust welding. spot weld in place front to back and finish up off the car sounds like the way i'm going. right on miles, the first flange on the header is in place, so i can start there.

thanks

If you own a welder, then tacking it together under the vehicle, then removing it to finish is the way to go.

I don't have a welder here, (darn it), but I did build an exhaust system under the '82 BRAT. I used my floorjack to support the far end of the pipe(s), and drew some lines on the connecting joints to show how they were to be aligned. You'll want to draw the lines at a slight angle to the pipe, line up the lines and weld away. 3 lines would be best to insure straightness of joint. Then you throw the pieces in another vehicle, run to the shop to weld, come back home and do next section, repeat, repeat, repeat. Took me a good part of the day to finish. I need a welder!!!

I agree that its best to make it in sections with flanges or slip joints to make install and removal easy. I too tack weld the parts together under the car then remove to complete the welds where I can get at it better. so there a no real time saving tricks that I know of just ways to make it a bit less dificult.

slip joints are joint where the the first part of the exhaust slides in of over the second part of you exhaust, then a clamp over both parts secures them in place

personally I hate these joints, they always corrode like hell and you almost have to destroy the exhaust to get them loose :rolleyes:

so, go for the flanges, maybe get some of the scrapheap

good luck, Joost

Here is the best tip ever for working with tubing that I have found:

When you are cutting your prebends to make them fit up, and you are ready to test fit them, here is what you do. Get yourself a dozen or so normal wormgear type band clamps that will fit the tubing you are working with. Take a dremel or similar tool and cut a 1/2" window in the bands so you can tack weld through it without removing the clamp. Get the tubing all installed and fit up just using the clamps. This makes it easy to align everything. Then start tacking when you've got it all set up, make a tack, loosen and rotate the clamp, 3 tacks per joint is good. Take the piece(s) off and finish weld them.

Courtesy of Ron Covell, metal genius.