Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93-94 Turbo with a non-t auto Trans??

The son has a 93 Turbo Wagon with an auto trans that has lost reverse. I picked up a 93 Legacy AWD non-turbo. The trans is good. I know there are minor differences between the turbo and non-turbo auto trans. I'll swap the rear diff also.

Anyone runing a turbo engine with a non-turbo trans for a significant number of miles? Are you happy with the setup? Thanks

Iam running a 92 legacy 5spd behind the eg33 which is probabley putting out 240ft pounds+ And while the trannie is not in perfect shape, syncors are going. Its been running for a while now 10k and ive put alot of abuse in it, whith a very agrseive clutch. I really wouldent worry about the the trannie not holding the power, the difrence in strenght between the two is probably non existent.

The 93 non-turbo tranny you picked up should be the same ratio as the turbo, a 3.90. In 92-94 all the autos were 3.90, the turbos had a stronger clutch pack but they are interchangeable. The 90-91 non-turbo autos were 4.11 but the 91 turbo was 3.90 just like the 92-94's. If you are certain that the tranny you picked up is from a 92-94 there is no reason to change the rear diff. If it is possible to find the car that it was pulled from just check the tag on the rear diff, it should say 3.90. I am assuming that you are not doing a auto to manual swap, if you are you will have to swap the rear also, the manuals were 4.11.

Larry,

I'd be wary of putting a non-turbo auto trans in that car. The turbo internals are heavier to handle the torque from the turbo engine. Plus, the gear ratio is different. It will work in the short term if you swap out the rear diff also, but it ain't gonna last! :( (Especially not with a kid driving it.)

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Unless you are notorious at missing shifts, the tranny should hold up fine. I am making over 220 torque on my NA motor and tranny and its holding up fine. Where you will have problems is the clutch. You need to upgrade the clutch because the stock OEM NA clutch doesnt like power. But if you get a RS pressure plate you can get a $100 Kennedy 6 puck disk that holds power up to 250 chp or so. Thats my setup and I am very happy with it.

I have went through one NA tranny, but that was my fault, with a BAD shift from first to 2nd, where I didnt quite get it into second at 6000 rpm. Whoops.

But I have made over 100 drag racing passes with my old tranny, and about 25 drag passes on this tranny. I am getting 1.9 60' times with this tranny, no complains, and no grinds or noises.

The son has a 93 Turbo Wagon with an auto trans that has lost reverse. I picked up a 93 Legacy AWD non-turbo. The trans is good. I know there are minor differences between the turbo and non-turbo auto trans. I'll swap the rear diff also.

Anyone runing a turbo engine with a non-turbo trans for a significant number of miles? Are you happy with the setup? Thanks

automatic-automatic-automatic

It's got a 4.11 in the rear. Title is listed as a 93. Thanks for the Info!
I thought it was auto to auto also until I saw talk about manual shifting, etc. And the non-turbo 93 autos didn't have the 4.11 rear, only the 5 speeds had the 4.11. Either the donor car is not a 93 or it was a 5 speed or it has the wrong rear.

I just picked this one up. It is an S title, so its possible it was changed somewhere along the line. Looks to be original, but you never know.

Yes, I was talking auto to auto, but may end up changing it over to a standard trans. Thanks for the info.