Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4/5lug, brakes, springs

rol1

4/5lug, brakes, springs, LSD

I read in a post that a guy could stiffen up his springs by using RX springs up front.

Honda springs will fit the rear but will raise it 2".

As I have a 92 Loyale waggon stiffening things up sounds like a good idea.

Then there is the brakes, rear discs of course. The easy way is to get the 4lug disc stuff from a turbo and do it. But there's the option of 5lug discs also.

I been reading the threads about the 5lug swap also. Read one of the repair manuals from the home page where the author cut 2 coils from his front springs to level his ride. One of the comments a bottom of the page ask why he didn't just raise the rear with a spacer, but the author preferred the stock ride.

I can get the stuff for the 4lug reardisc swap and maybe the springs.

Or I could start getting parts for a 5lug swap. What is the ride like with the 5lug swap? What is the springs like? Are there other spring options with the rear xt6 parts, something like the Honda springs' 2" lift? The brakes look better than the 4lug brakes, yes? Doesn't it matter?

Is there any problem doing the 5lug and the LSD swap? Them working together?

Even as I write this I know I can more easily step into the 4lug discs, LSD, and springs as "opportunity presents" than to get all the 5lug together at one time.

But if you know some about the xt/imp brakes, share. Are they that much stronger than the 4lug?

If, I've read and understand things correctly, doing the 5-lug swap just involves the hub/rotor assemblies, and not the springs/struts. Could be wrong though...

5-lug swap opens up more choices for rims vs the 4-lug rear disc swap. The Turbo model EA-82's have the rear disc set-up in 4-lug, XT-6 has the 5-lug. RX springs will raise the ride-height of the vehicle, and is somewhat stiffer.

Again, this is if I've read and understand things right.

ok I guess this is where I'll chime in at...

As for the ride on the 5-lug, it is wonderful. I did it to an '87 GL turbowagon and it handles like its on rails. I've also converted my '89 RX to a full 5-lug but have yet to drive it since it is still inoperable due to engine work. On the wagon, I used all XT6 equipment. On my RX, I used XT6 brakes in the rear along with XT6 front control arms and swaybars (front/rear) but I did something different. I used parts on the front from a '95 Impreza wagon. The axles, brakes, calipers, knuckles, and struts/spring assembilies but I had to use the stock EA82 tophats for a direct bolt in. I'm thinking about using the stock Impreza tophats so I can get camber plates for them but it means modifying the strut tower to accomidate them. The main reason for the Impreza upgrade for me is because now I have a wider selection of brake upgrades that I can get for a WRX. Also I have many upgrades readily availible to me for spring/strut upgrades for the front. The rear I have yet to ind any upgrade parts for but I'm looking into modifying WRX brakes to work in the rear. When you upgrade to the Impreza/WRX front suspension and brakes, you will loose your front wheel ebrake but there are a few board members who have found a conversion to convert to a rear wheel ebrake by using Nissan 200SX calipers and some newer Impreza brake cables and ebrake handle. Unfortunaly, the USRM seems to be down but I have a full write-up on a parts list from another board member and also some pointers for doing the conversion.

i have heard from my mechanic that there is a legacy conversion kit for the xt6 allowing the user to install legacy struts front and rear... so, if you were to say do the 5 lug swap, you should be able to do the legacy swap, then your spring options would increase significantly....... just a thought.....i'll see what i can dig up on that swap....