Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 or RX Coupe?

I think I can get a XT6 in great conditon, needs tires and valve cover reseal for a grand, or I could get a 88 RX Coupe with timing problems for a grand....

What should I do??? other than try to get both of them.

I'm kinda going for speed with this car since I have a lifted rig now. For the RX I'd want to do what WJM did with his RX. I think it would be one hell of a ice racing car. The XT6 is a auto, so I dont know how that's going to work on ice. So a tranny swap would be needed.

Since I haven't driven a XT6 before, I can't compare top speeds. There seems to be more mods for a EA82T than a ER27 (unless the twin turbo project got finished.) Whats the max hp I'm gonna get out of the RX, and the XT6?

Gimme Your Ideas Please

personally, I prefer the torque curve of a larger displacement engine, than a turbo'd one....I'll be looking for an XT6 next spring, there might not be as much potential as far as peak hp, or performance, but I think for my ice racing, and RallyX 'needs' the ER27 would be preferrable

I know its a bit off topic but my IROC only has 190 horsepower stock but its a v8 and has loads of torque making it fun to drive. I agree with the old school rule of thumb to a point about no replacement for displacement...but then again look at the WRX! Final decision is up to you though.

No offense to the RX guys, but there's an old saying that there's no replacement for displacement.

I disagree, there is a replacement for displacement. It's a turbocharger. **There's no replacement for a large-displacement engine with a turbocharger. I'm seting up an injected LT1 with twin turbos for a 2600lb car, should be fun.

As far as torque curves go, that depends on turbo and cam selection. A good turbocharged 4 cylinder engine can have the same dyno graph as a N/A V8. Turbocharged engines are usually pretty square in relation to HP and torque, torque is usually a bit over the HP figure. It's the opposite with a cammy N/A engine.

look at old posts.....people are pulling better horsepower and quarter mile times with the RX. that being said, i dig the XT6. but the performance options are limited and lots of custom work/learning involved. noone is pulling good times with the XT6 (sorry KEVIN!!!!!)....well they aren't better than the RX with llight (and easy) mods anyway.

that being said....i like the XT6 obviously it would be my preference. if you're not going to upgrade the RX then definitely go with the XT6. the ER27 pulls alot better than an EA82, that is for sure. pulling weight, driving hills, interstate driving, towing...the ER27 does great for me.

look at old posts.....people are pulling better horsepower and quarter mile times with the RX. that being said, i dig the XT6. but the performance options are limited and lots of custom work/learning involved. noone is pulling good times with the XT6 (sorry KEVIN!!!!!)....well they aren't better than the RX with llight (and easy) mods anyway.

that being said....i like the XT6 obviously it would be my preference. if you're not going to upgrade the RX then definitely go with the XT6. the ER27 pulls alot better than an EA82, that is for sure. pulling weight, driving hills, interstate driving, towing...the ER27 does great for me.

guess I need to buckle down and prove that I HAVE DA POWAHH!!

an xt6 in good condition is some fun stuff. they just weigh so much. if you arent planing on turning up the boost on the rx, then go for the er27. but if you want phat peak hp, go with the rx, and crank the boost.

just rememember: an er27 making 150 hp will last years longer than an ea82 runing 150 hp

get an rx and stuff an er27 into it. then its fun

I'm kinda going for speed with this car since I have a lifted rig now. For the RX I'd want to do what WJM did with his RX. I think it would be one hell of a ice racing car. The XT6 is a auto, so I dont know how that's going to work on ice. So a tranny swap would be needed.

Man, I hate saying what I'm going to say because I love the XT6 but.....

Go for the RX! If you are going for speed, the routes you can take to get there is already laid out in front of you with the RX turbo. Are you talking about rallying speed, road racing, drag racing, combos or something else?

The fact that the XT6 is an auto SUCKS! I love my XT6s even though they both are autos but both of my trannies failed.

It's the speed part that kills me. You have pros and cons all over the place. My XT6 will give my RX turbo a serious beatdown speed wise but I still have not turned up the boost. You want to turn up the boost? What year RX you getting? Older models are much easier to do this on then the Maf sensor based boost later modelled RX turbo. Then you better do something about fueling or your #1 and #3 piston will play Mike Tyson with your cylinder head.

Fast RX turbo = More Fuel, boost, better clutch, intercooler, exhaust

Fast XT6 = :lol: More power can be had though with custom intake, exhaust and advanced ignition.

The RX turbo guys have been running mid - high 14 second 1/4 mile times with 15-18psi of boost. I have not been able to get my auto XT6 under 16.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

On another note, I have much more fun driving the auto XT6 than the manual trannied RX turbo. Both are modded. It's just that the RX turbo's boost have not been turned up...yet.

**Holding hands on head** Go for the RX for speed and follow these guys footsteps. Someone is going to find the solution for the XT6. I have an idea that has been passed around the XT6ers for a while. Doesn't mean crap until it comes to be. Gary, I'll share this with you soon. L8Rs

Man, I hate saying what I'm going to say because I love the XT6 but.....

Go for the RX!

kevin has been around the XT6 for years, owned a couple and is a big fan....but he also owns an RX. he knows what he's talking about.

i'm a huge fan of the XT6, i think it's a much better car personally, but for speed, getting better 1/4 mile times is a headache on them. like everyone is saying, depends exactly what you want.

the XT6 auto's do not suck that bad in my oppinion. i'm selling all of my manuals XT6's cause i like the auto's better. i hate dealing with clutches and shifting all the time, gets old to me. i'd rather replace an auto trans once than do a couple clutches, that's super annoying to me.

and buy whatever yo'ure looking for. i would never buy one transmission only to convert to another. just find a car with the trans you want in it. converting is annoying as hell, i pulled all the parts for a conversion and it sucked. putting it all back would only have to be worse. but my time is very limited so if you got lots to burn then tear up the conversion.

I know its a bit off topic but my IROC only has 190 horsepower stock but its a v8 and has loads of torque making it fun to drive. I agree with the old school rule of thumb to a point about no replacement for displacement...but then again look at the WRX! Final decision is up to you though.

w00t, go stock 305!

My '88 IROC has a 350TPI in it and 350hp to the flexplate.

Yes, no replacement for displacement unless its a weakly powered v8. Then again, my RX will hopefully be running the same amount of hp as my IROC does;)